Thread: Sub Box

Default Sub Box

Ok,

So here is a little mod I have been working on. Hadnt seen anyone do this yet so I thought I would post. I am sure many of you have different opinions about this but it accomplished what I was going for. My main goals were to add bass to the audio and not take up any "valuable" storage in the process. I could have stuffed a sub under the driver console, but I wanted something a little different so the sub wasnt firing at my feet.

2012-08-08 20.35.46.jpg

I built the box out of 1/2in MDF, sealed the inside with silicone. Each chamber is about 1.25 cuFT. I attempted to spray a gel coat on the exterior for water protection, but the finish didnt turn out the way I expected. (I may pull it this winter and re-finished it). It sounds pretty darn good for (2) 10" Kicker VRs. Its powered by a DX1000 Mono. I probably still need to make some amp adjustments to optimize the sound.
    "The Boomba" '12 Mojo 345HP

Tow Rig: '08 Duramax

Looks awesome that is exactly where I would put mine when I get a new boat. The only thing that I would do differently is I would side fire them at the hull if possible.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Now there is a good way to fill in that space for those that don't like it!

I like the look of it, but i would be too afraid the speaker would get damaged, spilled on, or extremely wet there. Side firing would solve some of the issues but wolfe suggested using those sides for lifejackets that will rattle and offer up more chances for water.
    Interested to see what u think longterm ofthat location.
    Quality of the box looks great..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

clever re-use of the space, make sure to report how it works longer term
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Good idea! Do you have pics of side & rear? Did you leave the fiberglass cover in place and just build around it?

Well done! I like that! I probably would've done the same thing if my boat had that "unfinished" area. Definitely interested in how it performs long term. Keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

I had completely removed the fiberglass cover. The cover has a lot of dead space under it, which was needed to meet the volume requirements for the subs.

I agree with the side firing for protection of the subwoofer.... since completion looking back, a sight design change may have allowed room for the side fire. With the current design the reason for front fire is because of the fuel fill lines that run through the opening. I had to create a channel in the box to clear the lines.

This picture is from the back of the box during building.
    2012-07-27 19.15.47.jpg

Also, I had to create clearance for the support brace that runs on the underside of the rear bench seat. I believe this was a major factor when picking out the subs, this wouldnt allow for 10" on the side.

2012-08-08 20.34.54.jpg

I was able to hit the lake yesterday and put them to good use. It is much easier to hear music while surfing even without tower speaker. I do notice a little bit more noise from the engine since the box doesnt seal as well as the fiberglass cover. It also rattles the floor panel, but I think putting the carpet back in will help that.

I will keep everyone updated on longterm comments.
    "The Boomba" '12 Mojo 345HP

Tow Rig: '08 Duramax

looks great. may want to put some rubber spacers under the box to let water from wet riders travel to the bilge without contact.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

not bad i like it..i would have placed it a tad further back(if ya could) just so the speaker guard doesnt get kicked or stepped on..other then that its a nice spot
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)