Default Depth Guage Puck - What kind of epoxy?

Seems like no matter what I try, my depth guage puck comes loose after about a month, and I no longer get a reading. I've tried some of the quick 5-minute epoxy a couple of times, and I've also tried Marine Goop, which I figured would work, but the same thing happened. Is there something else I should be using?

Or is it more likely that there's a hard layer of gunk in my v-drive compartment that the epoxy won't cure to? If that's the case, what do you guys use to clean the area before getting the puck to stick?
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

Sand the area where the puck will be mounted, 60 grit should work, rough it up good. Clean with alcohol. I have had great luck with Heavy Duty Expoxy from Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Interesting, as I have used silicone in the past to temporarily test a location and the puck has stayed there and never came up. Prep the surface is the trick including removing the oil film.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I have also used clear automotive silicone and on my 3rd year and have yet to have a problem with the puck coming up. Make sure to clean the surface good.
    Patrick
    '08 Mobius LS. 4 Blade OJ 13x13 Prop.
    Kenwood KMR440U & RC107MR, T600-2 Rockford Fosgate powering 2 Liquid Acoustics 8" HLCD, Kicker SKM10 subwoofer
    5 light- light bar.
    2015 RAM 3500HD Dually 6.7 Diesel w/ Aisin 6 speed tranny
    Live life today!

Thanks guys. I thought I was cleaning it pretty good, but have never tried sandpaper, so I'll give that a try, in addition to cleaning.
    '19 MAX
    '13 Mobius LSV - Sold
    '05 Mobius LSV - Sold

Make sure to test the spot before gluing!! I cleaned the surface really well (wiped off everything that came up, then degreaser, then alcohol) and then epoxied it down. Unfortunately, I didn't think much about the location and put it a little behind the raw water intake. Now, it rarely works. On the flipside - any ideas on getting it off?
    05 Mobius LSV - gravity 3 ballast and wake plate
    single axle trailer
    DIY hot water shower installed
    DIY tube inflator installed

Bite the bullet and buy another puck. I would not recommend removing the 1st one.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there