Default SUPRA MODIFICATIONS - yep, another RGB LED install

I know it's been done ad nauseum, but here's another perspective in case you owners of older Moombas wanna play with the big boys & their new(er) toys. I took a lot of liberties rebuilding/upgrading my old Supra Saltare & just finished wiring in RGB LED courtesy lights. Under $200 if you shop around. Mine was made easier since I ran all the 4 conductor wire while I had the hull split apart, but still shouldn't be too bad if you don't mind soldering a few, well, a good number of connections.

I pre-wired a harnesses for each of the speaker/cupholder pods. Each harness has two surface mount, waterproof, RGB's from Oznium for under each cupholder and one 4 light, waterproof, RGB module from EcoLights mounted facing down in the original courtesy light location. I wired each harness with a 4 pin connector so that I can easily unbolt and unplug the speaker/cupholder pods if needed.

Pod LED Harness.jpg

I cut the backs out of some standard trunion bulb stern light housings to replace the original courtesy lights, so I have a nice clear lens and s/s trim ring to finish it off. I also added one of the EcoLight modules and trim lens/ring to the panel below the walk-thru by the ice chest. I did not put one in the helm cupholder since I thought the glare/reflection off of the tinted window would be too distracting.

I wired all the lights to an RGB controller mounted up under the helm with a remote that controls the 13 different modes (solid colors, fades with adjustable speed/brightness, and 2 audio modes). I took two of the speaker level outputs from the head unit through a Stinger line level converter as the audio inputs to the controller.

The effect is pretty cool - I can change the color to suit the mood, or the kids love the full on disco. A neat feature of the audio modes is that the brightness is varied with the volume in addition to changing colors with the beat. The reflection in the new s/s cupholders is more subdued than the RGB rings, but looks really cool with a bottled beverage of choice installed.

All I have is this crappy cell phone video, but you get the idea... http://youtu.be/FqjKbk3D6HU

And a big THANKS AGAIN for all the help/advice/wisdom I've garnered over here from my SC cousins as I finish up this rebuild project.
    89 Supra Saltare Restoration Project

Pretty cool, pretty cool. These just never get old!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Wow. Nice info.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden