Thread: Got no Wake??

Hybrid View

Default Got no Wake??

We have a 2001 Mobius with the factory bag in the back under the seat. We fill it and run the wake plate up, but cannot seem to get a usable wake off the back. I am riding approx. 60 feet behind the boat at 20 mph. Am I too slow, to fast, not far enough away, need fatter friends???

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,
    2001 Moomba Mobius - JL Audio M6600/JL Audio 10" IB Sub/Sony CDXM50IP/Sony RM-X55M/Sony XSMP1620/XM Satellite Radio

60ft is pretty short, but yes, get some chubby friends or some more sacs. This hull likes weight.

When you increase your weight you will most likely need to increase your speed as well to keep it planing.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

If i can make a wake with a sportster i know you can make one with that mobius...

Put a sac under the back seat, 1 on each side of the motor and a small one up front..

Be carefull coming to a stop...
    Chris H.
    2012 Mojo
    Wake Life

WS420sq,4 Rev8's,JL Amps,2-TypeR 12's,6-Interior Kicker, Green/White LED

That boat should have plenty of wake at 20mph, although it is a tad slow for most W2W tricks. Are you sure the speed is accurate? With the dials on the dash, it is really easy to get the speedos way off. A handheld GPS is best, but a smartphone will get you pretty close too.

Also, those hulls like weight in the front. With mine totally sac'd out, I run about 600# in the bow, and about 400# in the stern. Berg is right, if you are running 1000#, the boat speed will need to be at least 22mph, maybe 23mph to clean it up.

Chris is right about stopping too. With my boat loaded up, at rest the bow rubrail is only about 3" above the water. Careful around rollers too.

Lately, I have been riding without any ballast, with the line all the way in (I guess that is 60 feet) at 21mph. I can do what few tricks I know just as I could with the weight in it. Plus the TS W2W jumps are easier since the wake is narrow, which helps with the confidence. I also burn less gasonline!

I just sold an '01 Outback LS, which I think is the exact same boat as the '01 Mobius. I put a 350 pound fly high sac in the ski locker, two 400 pounders under the rear bench seat (each will only fill a little less than half way) and had a usable wake with just my wife driving. It got much better with a couple extra adults in the boat. You are not going to get huge 24 foot v drive wakes out of that thing, but you can get a nice wake that should have you going wake to wake with ease if you have your technique close. My technique isn't very good, so I had to charge it pretty hard to go wake to wake on my toeside. I usually went around 22 mph and either 65 or 70 feet.

Thanks for all the replies and details - much appreciated. I think a combination of more weight and better technique on my part will play a big part in making it happen. Time to hit the water again...
    2001 Moomba Mobius - JL Audio M6600/JL Audio 10" IB Sub/Sony CDXM50IP/Sony RM-X55M/Sony XSMP1620/XM Satellite Radio