Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

One other thing to keep in mind is that women have different chemicals than we do in every day life and different responses to stress. Sometimes we can't even understand what is actually a perfectly natural response for them. It can be frustrating for us because we simply do not get that viewpoint.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Berg,

It's OK to admit that my methodology worked for you.

I'm waiting to get a new sectional before I give that a go...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Sounds like you forgot to comment on how nice her new shoes look or her new haircut is fabulous.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

Berg, I know the pain. It is hard to teach a woman to drive well anything. My sister makes me feel like a skier when she pulls me up and no matter what I say I am in the wrong. I have instructed several woman how to drive a boat and it has worked out. One thing I have learned is to have them pull up and drive for their friends. They will take more care in what they are doing. Also I have learned with relationships it is better that if your in a relationship with someone not to be the teacher but have someone else do it. It leads to less fights and less sleeping with the fear of if your going to die tonight.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

My driver didn't get out of bed in time to go with us (we left at around 1 pm) so my wife drove for me yesterday. Other than a little indecision on which way to go (up or down river) every time we started, she did pretty well. I hardly yelled at all.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Brian has a good take on this too - those that aren't good drivers also are not boarders or surfers much if at all. At least in my experience. When I'm behind the wheel I am thinking of the kind of run I'd want if I were back there. When you've never been or are rarely back there you just can't relate. Like slow down, neutral or even reverse so they can grab the handle without losing a limb on pickups. Line up in the direction you will be going before you take off so or at least confirm with the rider what direction you're heading so we don't make 4 u-turns before we're up on a plane.

well im thinking its time to start training my drivers back up (aka the 13 year old kido). Heck just today she reminded me she will have a permit in a little over a year.

been really impresed seeing Pats daughter take the boat and know what she is doing--its a cool thing to witness

any advise
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Start early and make it fun. Lots of encouragement and praise. Throw out scenarios or situations and ask what she would do.
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

When the time comes I'm going to take the kiddos out one-on-one. Show them everything, then repeat after me. No phones, no stereos, no distractions. My son surprises me already by how much he knows but there's a lot to do with timing and spacial awareness that is huge. We have a week long trip coming up so maybe I'll carve out some "driving with dad" time.

Catch is law here states "Persons who do not have a boater education card and are 12 years of age or older may operate a vessel with more than 15 HP if accompanied by and under the direct supervision of a responsible person 16 years of age or older who has their boater education card" so they've got a few more years before they can be legit with me in the water.

I also promised I was going to teach them to drive my truck as soon as their feet could reach the pedals and guess what....