Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Driver Training - Graceful Approach To Avoid Me Sleeping On The Couch?

Sometimes perfect pass just isn't enough.

So a little rant and request for advice here. My girl normally does "ok" driving for me and is usually willing, but for some reason this weekend went really bad...

We had decent water, a few other boats and waverunners to contend with, and some extra family in the boat. Had a nice stretch of water along one shoreline that was pretty much only being used by us and a few others for boarding so we were staying in that area.

My turn in the water so I give her the low down on where to drive, PP is set, we're all good. She pulls me out just fine and heads for the nice stretch and I kid you not the woman starts doing figure 8's. I motion like an air traffic controller to head down the shoreline and go straight. Left, right, circle, and I'm fighting my own waves. I'm back there thinking she's on crack or trying to get away from a swarm of bees and getting frustrated...

After I wipe out hitting all my own rollers she swings around and tells me the depth gauge is not working - flashing instead of reading. I guess that explains the figure 8's ?? but we had been running that same stretch of water for a few hours already. Hmmmmm, ok well just stay out in the same areas we've been running all day here and you'll be fine.

Off we go again, headed to another little cove in search of fewer boats and better water. On the way there I'm messing around, do a board slide, planted my ass on the water but popped right back up and was all proud of myself. Nope, she cuts the throttle (after I'm already back up) and I end up doing another board slide, pulling the rope up over my head as high as I can to take up the slack but dumped it again as she then punches it and rips the handle out of my hands, tearing the padding half off it.

We finally get to this little cove and I remind her again to just stay where we've been running and she'll be fine with no depth gauge. Nope, she heads WAY in towards this sediment dam where I know it's maybe 6ft deep and there are big stumps. Once again I'm back there flailing like a chicken trying to fly and pointing for her to head out of here in that direction. Nope, she actually turns the opposite way and keeps heading in even further to the shallows at which point I threw the rope.

Floating there looking at the weeds right under me, I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to say to her so we can work on her driving and navigation skills without me unloading a wrath of "WTF was that?!" She swung around and I could tell she was flustered, so I held it in and told her she did good, gritting my teeth and muttering to myself.

So - what has been the best approach/tactic for coaching your woman on driving, but in a way that is not belittling or demeaning to her? Especially when you have a group with you! We talked about it a little afterwards but I think we've got some work to do. We don't get much one-on-one driving time as we almost always have a group. So I'm all ears...

(Sorry for the page long rant - had to get it out...)
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

You need one on one date night on the water and show her every detail-- take some wine.

I skipped past the wife after I got frustrated and taught daughter #1 to drive starting when she was 12. She's 18 now and was just recruited by the FSU wakeboard club (they love having a girl along who can actually drive).
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    You need one on one date night on the water and show her every detail-- take some wine.
    this advice. it worked for the ex with the first boat and with the gf on boat number 2.
    remember, teach, don't criticize when you go out
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Man after reading this I feel like I got SUPER lucky! Heidi started driving for me about midway through last summer and picked up on it pretty much right away. Due to the drought all the boat ramps that had courtesy docks where unusable. The only launch was the Public Ramp on Hwy 19 and we would go out frequently with just the two of us so she learned how to drive the boat on and off the trailer out of necessity. Now i think she is better at loading than me since she does it all the time and I never do it.

Now when it comes to thinks like operating moomba cruise, don't ask her to do that. I will have to set the speed, then leave the engine running while i strap the board on and jacket up for my set. This is why we are going to PP next summer. But other than that she is great, turns the stereo up for me and we never have issues doing "figure 8's", probably because 80% of our riding takes place on a river and you just have to follow the river.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

With my gf, I kneeled next to her while we pretended there was someone in the water and she was pulling them. Then we dropped a rope in the water and I had her pretend a bouy was the rider she was picking up. We did that once and she hasn't had to pull me since then, worked pretty good and I was there in case she had any questions.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    we never have issues doing "figure 8's", probably because 80% of our riding takes place on a river and you just have to follow the river.
    AH HA!! Problem solved, find a straight river channel

As a side note, it also helps to work on hand signals with riders too. When I am driving I get a bit upset when my rider lays face down after a wipe out without any indication they are ok, we have had numerous talks about this with my stepson. He just doesn't get it, if you lay face down and won't give me an Ok signal I am going to assume you are injured and bust my arse getting back to you, if that means the dreaded power turn so be it, but when I pull up next to you to haul your carcass out of the water and get ready to administer first aid or cpr and you roll over shooting water like moby dick I may just leave you there... to me that is crying wolf, one day I'll just putter back cause I think he's being an arse and he really will be hurt...

Um, yeah, well, enough about that
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

All the above is NONSENSE! Friggin' man up, Berg. It ain't a tricycle she's driving and there are serious consequences that can result to you, the kids, others and an expensive toy if not operated properly.

Use the DEVO and/or Indiana Jones method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v06hpUyAN9Y

you better have made it thru to the 3:00 min mark!

I'm curious as to what kind of advice gets thrown on this one!
    I let the gf drive yesterday as well and like you a few things went wrong, but I just bit my tongue, said she did good, thanked her for the pull, and blamed it on rough water and said we would try again a different day... (we had friends on the boat as well and I didn't want to make her feel any more uncomfortable as she was already biting her nails when I was getting back in the boat)
    2004 Outback Blue on White *Sold
    2008 LSV Blue on White
    EXILED with 6 SX65-M in cabin & 2 XM9s rockin the tower
    2 Kicker ZX700.5 Amps powering the entire boat with 2 10" Subs under the dash
    Krypt KMA4200 EQ under driver's side dash to control all the madness
    Z5 Cargo Rack annnnnnnd She's NEKKKKED....

I'm no expert, I just read up on the Moomba Forum...

Holy cow. Cracked up reading this. I feel your pain brother. I was reading this and my wife asked why I was laughing and I told her about the figure eights. Luckily she understood at why you can't do that. Truth be told Heather does drive me but gets too worked up doing it. I have been teaching Fiona who is 9 for a while now and if it wasn't for the age law she would be my driver. She listens to everything I tell her with open ears and doesn't get flustered. She is by and far a better driver than her mother.

Maybe have her practice when there is no pressure. (When nobody is being towed.)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Yup, when my li'l one was about 13 she started driving the boat onto the trailer as my wife could never comprehend why just turning the wheel didn't turn the boat.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!