Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stevep33 View Post
    Al, thanks for your input. That lock-washer looks like a good option ... and easy to get out.

Another option ... how 'bout I use my router and rout some "slots" in the platform ... say 3/4" like you get with a teak platform? then I gel-coat the exposed center. Shouldn't get stubbed toes with that.
    I think that's a better option than the swiss cheese one

How about just removing the platform and putting it in the boat when the boat is moored? I know it's a bit of a pain but most of us have a longer list of things to do before and after boating.

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    Do you guys have Allen head pinch bolts at the top of your brackets?
    Mine does not. Some guys have added it, worked out for some, not so much for others.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by cab13367 View Post
    How about just removing the platform and putting it in the boat when the boat is moored? I know it's a bit of a pain but most of us have a longer list of things to do before and after boating.
    Our boat gets daily use for about 6 weeks. We divide the day up into 2 hour segments for the various families. Only about 40-50 hours per year.

Now I'm thinking that we may leave the platform off 'til the grandkids arrive, leave it on for the six weeks then take it off when they leave. With the set-screw/shim, how much wear can it get in six weeks?
    Steve

2010 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post
    Looks like a good option. Thanks.
    Steve

2010 Mobius LSV

Have you thought about getting a hoist?

Quote Originally Posted by eblom View Post
    Have you thought about getting a hoist?
    Actually have one we used for our Boston Whaler.

But

Lake Michigan is down two to three feet from historical levels and we can no longer get the Whaler ... much less the Moomba on a lift as we have only 12 inches of water at the end of our dock. And, we would need to extend the dock about 50 feet to approach deeper water.

Lift sits on dry land now waiting for a change. (storage)

Was not too long ago (1986) we had to add large rocks in front of the cottage to keep the water from washing over Beach Drive. It'll come back ... historical highs and lows are in excess of 6 feet.
    Last edited by stevep33; 08-08-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    Steve

2010 Mobius LSV

Search posts from Ian Ashton. He tapped out the brackets from the underside and installed set screws to get rid of the slop. This design was integrated into the 2012 brackets.

http://www.buy.com/prod/osi-sealants...227415572.html

Not sure if this is the exact glue they used, but this is the type of product I was referring to. Since you already drilled through your swim platform you are now past the point of no return... I would suggest the following:

1) Once you get the bracket secured on the swim platform, you will have brackets on top of the swimdeck if I understand what you are doing. To help finnish the end result, you may want to consider buying a sea deck platform and recover the entire platform. You could cut out the outline of the brackets if needed, which may actually look ok with an end result of having a flush swim deck once again... Not sure, but it may be worth looking into.

2) If you are really worried about the water pushing up, consider something like this....
    http://www.swim-platform.com/vents.html

This will eliminate the added pressures of the water going up, plus if done right it would look pretty cool (expecially if you get the lights)... Extreme, but may be better and cheaper than buying a whole new deck if your repairs do not actually work.

The washer trick looks good to stop the slop but to be honest, Im not sure that would solve the pressures of the water pushing up on the swim deck... How much transfer of the pressure to the boat brackets is debatable, and to me, not really worth doing, other than to eliminate the clunking sound... Personal preference I think, but Im just a crazy canuck eh!

Good luck... Maybe post some pics if you can... I am interested in your final product as I may have to rethink our fix down the road too...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Search posts from Ian Ashton. He tapped out the brackets from the underside and installed set screws to get rid of the slop. This design was integrated into the 2012 brackets.
    Found it. Looks good and I would get that design if I have to replace the current brackets.
    Steve

2010 Mobius LSV

Trevor, thanks for the suggestions. Those vents look really nice.

I got the brackets back today all TIG welded with nice new holes drilled.

Plan to re-attach the platform tomorrow. Will use the washer trick to stop the play.

Last of the grandkids go home next Wednesday. After that, I won't need the platform so I'll take it off.

When I pull the boat right after Labor Day, Will look at the inside (engine compartment) to see how the "other" end looks. If necessary, will fabricate backing plates to spread the strain.

Then, next year will only add the platform when the kids arrive and pull six weeks later when they leave. Last year the platform was on for three months in the lake and that is what lead to the first failure.
    Steve

2010 Mobius LSV