Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Michigan guys - Detroit looks like Uganda.......

What in the world is happening up there?? I never get to go to Michigan for business or pleasure but visited Rochester Michigan about 15 years ago and thought it was pretty nice. I didn't remember Detroit being as bad as it is today. Take a look at the article below. Is all of Detroit like this???

There is NO reason why a state like Michigan should not have a thriving big city. Very interesting city to me. The American hub of industry (without it we possibly lose WWII), the worst race riots in US history based on casualties. Top 5 in population in the 1950's (I believe) and then is the poster child of urban decline of the 1970's. For Heaven's sake, where would we be without the Ford F-150?!

I almost think Detroit would be better off having a match lit to it and starting over.

What say you guys?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/02...est=latestnews
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Interesting story on the documentary channel this month on the decline of detroit. Basically blame it on racial segregation, unions, and politics gone bad. Bad city that will never be what it was..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Man I hope you are wrong. Michigan is a fantastic state imo and deserves better from the leadership of Detroit. But I agree that racial issues, unions and DEFINITELY bad politics have run a once great city into the ground.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Meh . . .

As the lullaby my Mom used to sing to me goes, "I dont give a damn for the whole State of Michigan, because I'm from O-HI-O!"

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Meh . . .

As the lullaby my Mom used to sing to me goes, "I dont give a damn for the whole State of Michigan, because I'm from O-HI-O!"
    I know that lullaby

Bet our kids do to!

Go Bucks!

Detroit proper is a $hit hole. Chalk it up to corrupt mayor(s) and an inept city council.

A few miles north and life is good. Google Bloomfield Hills - about 10 miles north of Detroit and one of the richest cities in the country. Craziness.

So no, all of Michigan isn't like Detroit, quite the opposite infact.
    2013 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by ian ashton View Post
    Detroit proper is a $hit hole. Chalk it up to corrupt mayor(s) and an inept city council.

A few miles north and life is good. Google Bloomfield Hills - about 10 miles north of Detroit and one of the richest cities in the country. Craziness.

So no, all of Michigan isn't like Detroit, quite the opposite infact.
    I was hoping you would chime in. What is the consensus of Michigan folks as to the best way to fix the problems?

Its sad to me BC I have always viewed Detroit as a proud city that a lot of good has come from. Hope they can right the ship.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8

-John Wooden

Yeah it's a shit hole, but drive out of the city and it's great. There's a ton of lakes just outside of Detroit. I'm on Commerce Lake and it's surrounded by a myriad of small fun lakes perfecting for wake boarding and surfing.
    I was in Detroit last night to see Kaskade, but as soon as it was done we got the hell out of there. I never go downtown without a gun. I'm serious.
    2017 Moomba Craz

Man that's a shame. I would figure Michigan to have looser gun laws than most as there are so many sportsmen there. I would kill to take a big Michigan whitetail. Last I looked they were in the top 5 for Whitetail hunting with Bama, Texas, and Georgia. Can't remember the fifth. Maybe Ohio.

Back on topic, sounds like most of our Michigan brothers avoid the city if at all possible. That sucks. Definitely not setting itself up to attract new business.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8

-John Wooden