Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cell Phone Services: Boost Mobile

I just wanted to pass along my cell phone experiences and maybe save you some money. I have had a cell phone through differenct services for a long time. Like many, I was with Verizon for a long stint and they have excellent service on the phones and a great selection of phones. My wife is a home health care nurse and uses her phone a lot. I had to keep raising the number of minutes with Verizon to the point that our bill was outragous.

So, I moved over to Boost Mobile about 2 years ago. My wife's phone is provided by her company now (Verizon). With Boost (and all prepaid companies), you must buy the phone. There are no upgrades or free phones with service. The most expensive phone right now is $300. Prepaid services mean a few things: No Contracts, start, stop or whatever you want at anytime. It also means that if your phone does a service, then it has already been paid for, no extra charges. While I travel some out of the country, if the phone works in that country then its already paid for. No roaming, etc. I have an account set up that pays my bill every month, exactly like Verizon/Sprint/Att. From every aspect as an owner, the phone and its service is exactly like Verizon.

Boost uses Sprint/Nextel towers for their service. So, your coverage will be dependant on that. I have found the towers to give very good coverage. Verizon is a little bit better. If you check around, you can find what prepaid companies use for their towers. MetroPCS uses Verizon, etc.

The best part: I signed up for the unlimited smartphone plan when I got my phone. It was $50/month. Boost has something called "Shrinkage", which means that every 6 on time payments, Boost will reduce your bill by $5. Down to a minimum of $35/month. There new services start at $55/month for smart phones.

I now pay $35/month for unlimited phone service (talk/text/message/web). I have a Galaxy android phone with 3G service. I am going to upgrade my phone soon to the HTC Evo 4 G soon, but the phone is kind of expensive. I'll wait til the price comes down in a month. If you have good Sprint coverage, I can highly recommend Boost as a company that will save you money on your cell phone bill. Hope this helps. No, I don't work for Boost.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Sorry, but i hate shrinkage....
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I've been looking at the prepaids lately b/c my contract is up in Sept. I've been with Sprint for 2 years and was Verizon before that. With 4 phones it's over $200/mo. I'm not doing it anymore. There's wifi in so many places now that kids don't NEED 3g or 4g phones. I certainly don't need it either. Might flash my current Evo to Boost and go prepaid though. I always pay on time and I saw that deal.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

something to think about especial with no contract
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

For 35 does that include data services?

Unlimited data, texts and calls for 35?

Unlimited talk, text, data......anything that the phone can do. Now, $35 is after 18 months of on time payments. It now starts at $55 for everything and then every 6 months, the price goes down $5. After 18 months, your bill will be $40/month.

Although Boost changed the plan rate, they did not change mine (grandfathered in or something).
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Man that is really a good deal. I will mention that while the pre paid carriers do piggy back off the big carriers networks, its important to know that they only use a PORTION of them not all of them. Especially in Metro PCS's case. So the coverage is definitely limited. That being said it may work out perfect for most that don't travel outside your "NFL cities". $35 a month compared to what I pay Verizon makes me think very hard about switching. I switched to Verizon from T-Mobile BC of the increased service. Never happened. While the coverage area increased (barely) the reception quality is much better on TMobile than Verizon on everyone's phone. And I pay $60 a month more.

Good for you for finding a deal that works for you. I am a big supporter of saving money anytime you can. As you can imagine the boat fits in a different philosophy of mine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

I've been looking as well. Heck we pay over 200 right now for 2 phones with 1400 minutes and unlimited data. Absolutely crazy. I've looked at boost before. Might have to do it now
    Chris H.
    2012 Mojo
    Wake Life

WS420sq,4 Rev8's,JL Amps,2-TypeR 12's,6-Interior Kicker, Green/White LED

You might look at sprint. They should be able to get you to about 120 easy with unlimited data.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by C.Hern5972 View Post
    I've been looking as well. Heck we pay over 200 right now for 2 phones with 1400 minutes and unlimited data. Absolutely crazy. I've looked at boost before. Might have to do it now
    79.99 for unlimited everything with sprint. Go get signed up
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV