Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default white noise coming from wet sounds rev 8's

I just had the rev 8's installed along with a JL xd400 amp, JL 12 inch sub and the wet sounds eq. I've read that some white noise is common however its not acceptable to me. I had everything installed by the store and its been back to no avail. The store is going to replace the eq but I don't think this will solve the problem. Any ideas where I should look?
    2008 LSV

Hey bro, First thing i would check is how its being powered. Is the Stereo Positive and Negative on its own battery, everything Stereo related, Deck, amps, EQ, everything has to be grounded on its own battery and powered the same way.

Second if you want to know if its the EQ or not then bypass it and plug the head unit directly into the Amps.

If you still get noise, what exactly is the noise sounding like? Is it the whine you get from an engine?
    When exactly do you get the noise? All the time engine on or off? What about when you run the heater in the boat?

If the noise is a weird buzz, click click, buzz and its random that is commonly your Cell phone getting email, text messages or such and on Highend speakers, espcialy towers the tweeters actually pick these noises up.

On our boat unless im waiting on Claudia from work all cells are in airplane mode, this way i dont get that noise generated.

Let me know how it turns out.

Plus bro im only 30 minutes ride on the Vision to you, holler if you want me to come take a personaly look at it. Im in Salem every other month anyhow getting the oil changed on the bike. Carlton is closer then you think LOL.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Amps have a bad habit of amplifying whats coming into them and speakers will reproduce whats delivered to them. if everything is wire and set correctly, amps and speakers rarely produce these noises on thier own.

As mmandley stated, ALL the audio gear needs to share the same battery source. Having the equipment terminating in different spots and on different batteries in a dual battery setup is the leading cause of of unwanted noise.

Next would be gain hiss, especially will the addition of a line-driver like the WS-420. We have no way of knowing what diagnostics steps your installer has taken, but the odds of faulty gear are low. Like Mmandly noted, its easy to take the EQ out of the loop.

KT - which shop in Salem did you take it to? I'm guessing Hear no Evil? In the interest in taking the guesswork out of your situation, I suggest you and Mandley come have a stop over at Exile's office (we right off I5 in lake oswego). Give myself or one of my Techs 10 mins with the boat and I'll diagnose it for you for free. If Possible we'll give you the guidance needed to remedy the problems. The first check I'd do is unplug the 420 and drive an RCA cable and iPod into your amplifiers. It's a pretty quick tell....

-Brian
    Exile Audio

KT,
    I sell and install all the equipment that you own. And, I understand really well all the concepts relating to noise. I have quite a few techniques and diagnostic methods that you are unlikely to hear about from others. Return to your local installing dealer. They (your local dealer) are the people who can resolve this. If they don't mind the assistance, ask them to contact me. You can set this up with me via PM.
    Also, when using aggressive HLCD tower speakers and listening within a couple of feet, you are going to have some degree of 'thermal noise' (hiss)...period...unless you tune the system specifically to eliminate the hiss and in the process you reduce some potential dynamic range. Or, incorrect tuning can contribute to the noise level. In any case, I don't have a horse in this race and you could use an un-involved and un-biased third party to set realistic expectations for you independent of brand or dealer.

David
    Earmark Marine

KT - It was good meeting you the other day.

After taking a look at KT's system, it was a fairly simple problem, He had a mini JL amp rated at 75x4 running his REV8's and also a sub. The amp was gained to the max which created a lot of hisssssssss. I recommended he go back to his retailer and add a small dedicated JL monoblock and run the existing amp in dual mono mode so he delivers 200W to the tower and turn the gains WAY down. Towers where also tuned upward of 150HZ which was contributing to this problem, so on the final tune he should be able to get some more bass out of the speakers by moving the xover point down lower into the 80-90hz range.

Let me know how it turns out KT.

Cheers!

-Brian
    Exile Audio

KT,
    Yes, just two channels of that amplifer is not enough for a pair of REV8s. However, once bridged into two channels driving a 4-ohm load it will put out 200 watts per speaker as rated. Pasmag recently reviewed the similar XD500/3. The 2 x 75 watt @ 4-ohm channels actually produced 140 watts per channel into a 2-ohm load. That would be 280 watts in the bridged 4-ohm mode. That will definitely wake up the REV8s and significantly reduce the input gain setting. You could add a monoblock sub amp to your XD400/4 or upgrade to the XD700/5 and accomplish the same in a single chassis amplifier.
    When adding power they may need to upgrade the primary supply cable depending on what is there now. Don't overlook that.

David
    Earmark Marine

I would buy a harpoon...a hd600/4 powers my 2 pro 80's.
    -Jake

In fairness to his JL setup, I suggested getting the JL300.1 It should do the trick. and then dedicate the existing amp to the towers and tune the thing down so its not all horn. Hopefully it all works out well for KT. If not, I'll tune it for hiim.

-Brian
    Exile Audio

Yes, the JL Audio XD300/1 is an excellent amplifier choice. It will put out 370 watts of honest power into a 2-ohm load. But the XD700/5 will do the same job as the XD400/4 and XD300/1 combo for $150 less.

David
    Earmark Marine