Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
    Yes, the JL Audio XD300/1 is an excellent amplifier choice. It will put out 370 watts of honest power into a 2-ohm load. But the XD700/5 will do the same job as the XD400/4 and XD300/1 combo for $150 less.

David
    Earmark Marine
    Since the install is complete, it would probably also be easy to make the swap to the 700/5 over swapping to the 400/4and then finding a spot for the 300/1, which will now require cabling, turn-on and an RCA to the run to it.

Guys- to be clear, he already owns the 400/4. I didn't think it appropriate to tell him to Gut the install and start over. Adding a dedicated amp for the sub solves his problem and will match his other amp. Done deal.

Let him and his installing dealer make that decision between them. If they allow him to trade up to a single chassis he gets the identical power of both amplifiers for $150 less and possibly avoids power distribution blocks, additional cabling, more real estate, more labor and so on.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    Guys- to be clear, he already owns the 400/4. I didn't think it appropriate to tell him to Gut the install and start over. Adding a dedicated amp for the sub solves his problem and will match his other amp. Done deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianinpdx View Post
    In fairness to his JL setup, I suggested getting the JL300.1 It should do the trick. and then dedicate the existing amp to the towers and tune the thing down so its not all horn. Hopefully it all works out well for KT. If not, I'll tune it for hiim.

-Brian
    Exile Audio
    I went over the top with my harpoon recommendation! One thing about my HD900/5 is that when I switch to a 1500.1 and big 12 I will be back to three amps and defeat the purpose of the 900/5 in the first place. My own frustration came through in my first post!
    -Jake

Jake - agreed. 5ch amps are great if your needs never change. In my experience, people needs usually evolve, in much the same manner they do with boats. 1' every couple of years right?

I'm sure KT will get things rocking and report good things back to everyone...

-Brian
    Exile Audio

First off I want to thank Brian for taking the time to meet with me and look at my boat and to everyone else on this forum you guys are a huge asset, thanks. Well I went back to the installer (3 times total) and had the JL amp ran directly to the tower speakers and guess what I still had the noise, then I had the EQ removed and still had the noise. Needless to say I decided to go with three Rockford amps, a 500x1, a punch 2k7 300x2 and a 400x2 and no eq and I still have the hiss. At this point I'm going to return the wet sounds and go with exile. Brian I'll see you soon. Should I stay with the Rockford amps?
    2008 LSV

KT,
    Speakers do not create 'hiss'. They just reproduce what is sent to them by the electronics. If you have removed the EQ and replaced the amplifiers and you still have hiss then obviously the hiss is generated upstream in the signal path or the HU has too little voltage and there is an inordinate dependency on the amplifiers' input stage to create gain. Solve this and you reduce the hiss. I would have liked to help your dealer to help you without selling you anything. You already had superior gear.

David
    Earmark Marine

It cant be said enough.......the speakers are not producing the noise, they are simply reproducing it. It sounds like the installer that originally setup the JL400/4 with the gains maxed out has repeated this again now with the new R/F amps. Changing brands, whether its amps or speakers, is chasing the effect, not the cause. Get the amp tuned correctly and the gain-hiss with will be eliminated.

KT,

David/MLA is 100% correct. Speakers do not make hiss. They reproduce what they are sent. If someone has
    Told you that changing speakers is going to fix it. That is bad advice and very wrong. It sounds like there is a signal issue and/or tuning issue. Maybe an issue with the head. since they pulled the eq and swapped amps. Then they have taken good steps in fixing the issue.

Please shoot me a call or email [email protected] and I will get you in touch with our rep in the area. I just sent him this thread so he is in the loop.

We had an OEM that had a lot of noise issues. Hiss and engine noise. We went over their boat from top to bottom. Swapped Amps, RCA, power, ground. Found out it was a particular head unit next to their dash switches. Swapped to different model head unit from same brand. All noise was gone. We have seen all types of noise issues and can figure it out for sure.

Tim
    Wet Sounds

KT - Sorry your having so much trouble. I wouldn't start changing out gear all over the place unless you've just plained changed your mind on something. These are basic things that need to be addressed, not advanced ones. If you did opt to walk away from the installer your working with, I'd suggest you visit KingPin Marine Audio in Wilsonville. They are hands down, the most high tech retailer in the area and they scope all their installs in the final tune to eliminate amp clipping and over gain etc.

If you want to hash out some options with making it work with your current installer, let me know. I'll help out regardless of the brands involved.

@ the community: It's been said many times before and important to note, the execution of the whole install is just as important as the actual gear selected. This whole thread should not reflect in a poor way on any of the brands used in this boat. It's easy to arm chair QB stuff like this... but as the only industry person that has listened to this boat is me! Let me say clearly the problem is gain setup and /or a noisy source player. Lets all pitch in and help him get squared away.

-Brian