Thread: New Prop for DD

Default New Prop for DD

I have read over the board a little bit for prop reviews. Seems like ACM 1433 would be a good choice.

Anyone knows if that would be good for a Direct drive too or mostly recommended on V-drive boats ?

We are mostly wakeboarding and wakesurfing and cruising most of the time between 25-30mph. So we don't really need top speed that much.

Thanks for all your inputs !
    See signature for boat specs if needed..

Phil
    Last edited by phil_sauve; 07-29-2012 at 09:49 PM.
    Moomba Outback 2008 direct drive
    Indmar 5.7l 340hp
    No mods

I have the standard prop on my boat, OJ Legend 13x13 3 blade. I know the usaski1 recommends ACME 541 13x12 prop. The Acme 1433 has the 1 1/8" shaft, which does not fit the DD. The DD has the 1" shaft.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

"the usaski1" -- ha ha!

Anyway, If I did it over, I'd go with the 13x11.5 acme, but the 13x12 is a nice improvement. 11.5 will give you a little more.. and I'm an acceleration junkie.
    08 Outback. Private Lake Owner.

Did any of you ever got the prop out of the shaft without using the puller ? Any special tips for someone that doesn't have a prop puller ? I am thinking of getting one but I wanted to remove it tomorrow so it's quite short in time.

Thanks once again !
    Indmar 5.7l 340hp
    No mods

You will be SOL without a puller, and I wouldn't want to be beat the shit out of the prop trying to get it off without one. You can try.. but don't go crazy. At the very least get a propane torch and heat JUST the prop on the end OPPOSITE the nut. Back the nut off about 0.5" and LEAVE IT ON! That way it'll stop the prop from bashing the ground when it lets loose.

I went with the ACME 543 after doing some research and talking to Bill at ACME. It's a 13x11.5 and it rocks. As usaski days the 11.5 pitch pulls like a mofo and people always say that their impressed at how hard my boat jumps out of the water.

I have no problem with getting up on plane with a loaded boat of people and ballast and I can still do 45mph if I want to, although I don't like running my boat flat out at that speed for too long, it's not nice on the motor (4800rpm). I bought it along with the prop puller at the same time as well as a spare not, cotter pin and key.
    Last edited by Stazi; 07-31-2012 at 10:46 AM.
    2017 Moomba Craz

Pulling a prop without a prop puller...It depends if it has ever been off. If you prop has never been off since the factory/dealer it may not happen w/o a puller. People have been able to get props off w/o pullers though, including me. Like mentioned loosen the nut, but leave it on so when/if the prop comes off the shaft it doesnt fall on the floor. Use a block of wood between the hammer and the prop, to prevent damaging the prop coming off. Some heat on the prop can help.

If you have a local marina of any brand, check with them on cost of a prop pull. I heard some places do it w/o to much cost.
    2003 Outback, Assault EFI, (6) Polk Audio DB651s, JL Audio M6600 amp, JL Audio M1700 amp, JL Audio 10w6v2 subwoofer

Thank you hoopskier !

BTW just to give an update, we got the boat out and the prop has the 3 blades bended but only 3/4 inch long so nothing to get scared of. We got it repaired for 150$.

Our boat never got the prop removed so the nut was quite easy to remove. Used a hammer and a piece of wood, a little hit and boom it was out. I was pretty happy to see it pop hehe

Monday it's clean up time and tuesday it's wakeboard time !!

Thanks everyone !
    Indmar 5.7l 340hp
    No mods

Wasn't your strut and shaft bent like a banana though?
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Wasn't your strut and shaft bent like a banana though?
    i know mine might be but its just off to the right a little if your looking back at it...i tried a peice of wood and hammer but it moved only a tiny bit..my buddy brought over a tiny propane torch and heated up the prop and 2 hits it poped off
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)