Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Current LSV wake

this was posted over on WW

Going from an XLV to an Axis A22 the XLV wake is narrow and the LSV wake is very narrow. My friends that own a 2011 MOOMBA LSV either have to take off length or charge the wake a little harder to not case the landing. I'll be beginner for life (compared to the riders on here) but the LSV wake is mellow, soft, and narrow IMO

I don't own a LSV and haven't wakeboarded behind one, but I've never heard this before. I'll refute this statement, or a current owner can, but would need the facts.

I have rode the LSV a few times and just did some set's with Kyle ratray behind it and learned a TS Front roll 3rd try with his help (He is an awesome instructor BTW). The LSV wake is nice. Not huge, but a good shape and fairly consistent. I like it. It is NOT wide how ever. It is narrow much like the Mojo (one of narrowest wakes I have ridden) and the XLV. My personal experience is steeper wakes (usually from boats like SC with a deeper V hull) are more narrow while more mellow wakes (MC, Bu, Centurion) are wider.

Someday some wake nerds should measure the width, that would be interesting (maybe I will do this between the Mojo and X-30 for comparisson sakes)
    Levi
    Former owner of a 08 Mobuis XLV, Cat340, 2650 Lbs.
    I miss that boat!

FWIW
    After owning 06 LSV for 4 full years and switching to a 21V, i'l say 21V is much wider than LSV. If i ride my 21V at same length rope as i did on 21V, i have to speed up and charge pretty good to go w2w.
    I took a few sets behind buddies 08 XStar the other day and it is a little more narrow than my 21V, but rampier. My other buddies X30 was always a little narrower than XStar and was a fun wake for Easy W2W runs with out charging it hard..
    Cant speak for XLV or A22....but I can say the the LSV Wake is not what I call Wide.

AND, every Hull is going to be different AND the Tower placement on said boat affects length.
    I have often moved ropes in 2.5' increments on other boats to find the sweet spot. AND, Weight and speed will affect wake size and width.. SO, WHATS UP DOC?

Also, I aint so bright, but IT SAYS, LSV Wake is NARROW, but his buddy has to SHORTEN LINE or Charge hard to NOT case the wake? HMMM im cornfuzed..
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

I havent had the opportunity to ride behind a lot of boats, but a few friends of mine have been behind ~10 different wake boats of every different brand. I keep hearing the same thing....the LSV with the GIII ballast and a 400 in the walkway = money at 70 ft with the plate trimmed up 1/4-1/2. None of us have any problem going into the flats with minimal effort.

Figured i'd edit with a few of the boats they have ridden behind. Axis A20, A22, Tige 21v, 24v, Mastercraft X-1(08 ), X-2(08 ), X-star(06), X-15, X-25, and Air nautique 210. Thats all I remember at the moment
    Last edited by Brando86; 07-26-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    2007 LSV - Brittany Blue - GIII ballast - Alpine CDA-9885 mp3/cd/ipod - Rockford 400.4 ampon the cockpit speakers, Rockford 1000 watt amp powering two 12 inch Rockford subs with Farad Stinger digital capacitor, 4 sets of Rockford component speakers & Rockford bow speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by 04OUTBACK View Post
    Also, I aint so bright, but IT SAYS, LSV Wake is NARROW, but his buddy has to SHORTEN LINE or Charge hard to NOT case the wake? HMMM im cornfuzed..
    Confused me too, at first. I think he means that his buddy's that have LSV's have to shorten the line when they come ride his A22.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

You are correct KG, I think that's what he meant.

Hey Brad, I imagine the 30 you rode behind was the original one not the 2012? I haven't gotten a chance to ride the older 30 only the new one so that is what I am refering too.

Also good points about the tower placement and weight/plate. I don't think weight/plate effect width as much as shape/size but Im sure it makes some difference.
    Levi
    Former owner of a 08 Mobuis XLV, Cat340, 2650 Lbs.
    I miss that boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Brando86 View Post
    I keep hearing the same thing....the LSV with the GIII ballast and a 400 in the walkway = money at 70 ft with the plate trimmed up 1/4-1/2. None of us have any problem going into the flats with minimal effort.
    I agree completely, though I always push the bow sack option over the walkway bag (or both! )

I've also never heard the LSV wake described as narrow, but I suppose it all depends on whether you compare it to newer/bigger wake boats or previous gen hulls that were much smaller. I wonder if the SC hull design that's flatter in the rear makes a difference in wake width compared to the hulls that keep the V profile all the way to the transom?

Speed, line length, tower mount point, ballast, all play into this measurement as well. Plus I'm not sure how much it even matters since you can always bring the rope in or out to ride where you are comfortable.

Good discussion topic!

For those who thinks you can t get a good wake with the lsv.....I ve found this:

Before I was riding with the stock ballast, 65 feet, 21 mph and yes the wake was steep and soft

Now I ride 800 to 1000 in the rear, 400 in the center and the bow sac at 65 feet ( i m working on the backroll) and 22 mph. It s so easy too have a good pop and landing in the flat that I have to slow down the cut. the wake plate is in the middle,,,,,i ve tried it all the way down but the wake was too rampy

I only ride the lsv so i don t know if the wake is narrow...

for me increasing the speed to 22 mph make a very big difference.....the wake is hard, pop easy and the landings are softer
    Mobius LSV 2011
    GIII, V2 Tower, Indmar 325,

LSV wake is very narrow in comparison to other wakeboats. I have an 05 but have ridden the new hull of an 06 and it too was narrow compared to other boats. Makes wake to wake much easier.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

I totally don't understand when people refer to a wake as being soft or hard. It's just water so the harder you edge against it, the "harder" it seems. How is this a function of the boat? I'm pretty sure the water is the same density regardless of what boat is displacing it. What am I missing??
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV