Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Reversible Pumps and check valves?

Are the reversible pumps strong enough to dump over the side of the boat like the Aerators do if I add two check valves as shown below?

Seems like they should as it is not that much head pressure

Yes. Although a check-valve in the vent line is not needed, one will help to achieve a more complete drain.

If you plumb the check valves in backwards as shown, then yes the reversible pumps are not strong enough to overcome a blocked orfice.
    2007 Supra 20SSV - 325HP - SOLD (What's Next?)

Wetsounds Rev 10's
    XS-650's
    Syn 6
    Syn 4
    WS-420

Why do you want the reversible pump to dump over the side?

You will need another check valve on the thru hull vent to suck the bag flat.
    Last edited by jmvotto; 11-18-2012 at 10:55 PM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Why do you want the reversible pump to dump over the side?
    I am just old and like to see the water shooting out the side. Seriously, no real reason other than that.

Back in the day after outgrowing flat bottom V-drives, we ran jet drives (those didn't have props for you youngsters!) with Jet-o-vators which shot up a "rooster tail" just because it looked effing cool!

You will need another check valve on the thru hull vent to suck the bag flat.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by kevkev View Post
    If you plumb the check valves in backwards as shown, then yes the reversible pumps are not strong enough to overcome a blocked orfice.
    Not sure what you mean by "backwards", the diagram shows the direction of flow. Out the dump and in from the under-boat intake.

Eric.

Many of us have found that a check valve on the vent helps to eliminate air ring pulled in and allows the bag to drain completely flat and "raisin."

I'd keep it simple and use the bottom thru hull for fill & empty. Saves a little $$ on valves, hose and clamps, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by EricU View Post
    Are the reversible pumps strong enough to dump over the side of the boat like the Aerators do if I add two check valves as shown below?

Seems like they should as it is not that much head pressure

I for one like your idea and see the benefits of what your trying to do.
    I for one am no longer one of the young guys, i think im just one of The guys now, i will enter the Old guy thing a bit later, i am on my last year of 30 somthing LOL.

I like your idea in the fact i can appriciate you wanting to see the water draining. I for one wouldnt mind seeing it drain because at least you know when its done without watching the bag. When the water stops shooting out then its drained LOL.

Nothing wrong with what you have as your idea.

Is it the most common? No
    Will it work Yes
    Is it the mose Efficient? No
    This is more because i agree with others, you need a 1 way check valve on the Vent line. I ran my reversables all summer last year and while yes they do drain pretty well with no check valve in the Vent, they drained a LOT better with a Check Valve in the vent.
    Also with a check valve in the Fill side you will limit the pump to how much water the check valve can pass threw.
    Also you have to be EXTREAMLY carefull to make sure you dont turn the Pump on for Drain with your Y valve in the FILL position or you will damage the pump, or blow a hose.

From the factory the bags dont come with Vents. The pump kicks on and drains the bag and creats a Vacuume and the bag drains flat.

Most started adding Vents with the Areator pumps because you have Air in the line when you trailer the boat and the ballast line drains. Then when you fill the bag this air is pumped into the bag and you get less water weight. The vent solved that issue. In solving one issue though Murpheys Law kicked up another and that was Air in the bag when draining it by sucking it in threw the vent line.
    Last edited by mmandley; 11-19-2012 at 06:55 AM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Not sure what you mean by "backwards", the diagram shows the direction of flow. Out the dump and in from the under-boat intake.

I see that, the direction of the check valves is backwards. As shown it will suck through the vent and then out the bottom. The check valves flipped 180 will be up through the hull and out the vent. I'm sure you would have hooked it up properly, I was just letting you know it was drawn in reverse order.
    2007 Supra 20SSV - 325HP - SOLD (What's Next?)

Wetsounds Rev 10's
    XS-650's
    Syn 6
    Syn 4
    WS-420

nothing wrong with what I see, I have allways enjoyed seeing the ballast dumping out the sides

add a check valve to the vent and the bags will get dang near completly empty--raisined is a great term-they will look vacum packed
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    ...Is it the mose Efficient? No
    This is more because i agree with others, you need a 1 way check valve on the Vent line. I ran my reversables all summer last year and while yes they do drain pretty well with no check valve in the Vent, they drained a LOT better with a Check Valve in the vent.
    I will add a check valve to the vent line and reverse my check valve symbols as I have them drawn 180 out

Also with a check valve in the Fill side you will limit the pump to how much water the check valve can pass threw.
    This is my main concern

Also you have to be EXTREAMLY carefull to make sure you dont turn the Pump on for Drain with your Y valve in the FILL position or you will damage the pump, or blow a hose.
    That isn't a valve, just a simple wye fitting

Just hoping the idea works and I will fix the schematic --- Eric