Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Mechanical advice for the not so mechanical!

So the last time I had the boat out was about 1 1/2-2 weeks ago (new upholstry getting done) she was running great. I figured seeing as I have all of the interior out I would do some cleaning and maint. I went to change the oil yesterday and....nothing, wouldnt turn over. The only thing that I have done so far was cleaning and changed the spark plugs. Being not very mechanical I of course dont want to touch another thing lol. Now as for the plugs I just took the old ones out went to the parts store and they gave me new ones. Is there supposed to be a certain kind/gap? The new ones (ac delco I believe) are gaped at 0.45 does that sound about right, to big/small? I just have no idea were to even start and the closet place that will even look at boats is about 2 hours away. I dont think that it is to major seeing how it was just running fine a week ago so believe I can fix it with some help. When I bought the boat it didnt come with any manuals (boat/engine), I am looking for some online but with no luck so far.

Here is a video of what its sounding like so maybe you more "Mechanical Savey" ones will hear it and know whats going on or have some direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh9g_SOlMKU&feature=plcp

Any help or direction would be great and thank you for reading and helping.

Brian
    1998 Outback
    1998 Outback

That doesn't sound right to me...almost like the starter isn't engaging properly. Weird....... It doesn't have the typical ch-chugga, ch-chugga, ch-chugga sound that a normal V8 makes when it's being cranked over.....
    2017 Moomba Craz

sounds like the starter is not engaging
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    sounds like the starter is not engaging
    is that something that would just go with no warning?
    1998 Outback

Bad starter bendix....Pull the starter and replace it or have someone replace the bendix..The more you use it the worse it will get...

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...=1843&bih=1306
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

So do i have to get a whole new starter or is the "bendix" a piece in the starter that can be replaced?
    1998 Outback

Easier and better insurance to buy a new starter. Or "new" to you anyway as even a parts store bought unit will more than likely be a remanufactured unit. It's pretty easy to remove and install. Just be sure to disconnect the battery before proceeding

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast
    2005 mobius lsv

Just make sure if you replace it that its a marine starter---something about anti spark.
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

Quote Originally Posted by moombadaze View Post
    Just make sure if you replace it that its a marine starter---something about anti spark.
    Good call. I wasn't aware there was a difference in the starters.

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast
    2005 mobius lsv

THANKS everyone i will give the starter a try and go from there....
    1998 Outback