Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Vibration after hitting log

Hey folks,

A couple of days ago we hit a pretty big log at surf speeds. Immediately after and ever since we have been experiencing vibrations at all speeds (especially noticeable during holeshot). No performance issues and haven't been able to identify any dings in the prop and the exposed section of the drive shaft looks fine. I'm going to take it in to the shop soon but wondered if anyone had ideas on what it might be.

Cheers,
    Aaron
    2009 Outback V

Probably bent prop.

I've done it before. Bent strut, shaft. Sucks for sure. Didn't know it was bent until they unbolted transmission and it wouldn't line back up
    Chris H.
    2012 Mojo
    Wake Life

WS420sq,4 Rev8's,JL Amps,2-TypeR 12's,6-Interior Kicker, Green/White LED

Stop running that thing right now! You're taking a big risk of tearing more up and racking up some serious repair bills.

It happened to me while surfing also.

The prop looked perfect but when I measured the distance between each blade, one of them was off.

It does not take much to knock these props off balance.
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

I did the same thing yesterday while surfing... Hoping its only the prop!

Thanks guys. The boat is out of the water and I kicked off an insurance claim just in case.
    2009 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by aaroncat View Post
    i kicked off an insurance claim just in case.
    big mistake
    2008 Outback V - gravity III ballasts, perfect pass star gazer, hydraulic wake plate, depth finder, water stainer, rad-a-cage tower, board racks, tower mirror, bimini top, audio package d, graphics package e, appearance package, cockpit & tonneau cover, mooring cover, black stainless rubrail, docking lights, OJ 14.25x14.0 prop.

Toys: Ronix Viva 136 with Kai bindings, Phase5 Drew Danielo Pro, Straight Line Sumo Sac 750lb, 450lb, 125lb ballast.

Quote Originally Posted by deafgoose View Post
    big mistake
    Can you elaborate?
    2009 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by aaroncat View Post
    Can you elaborate?
    From the symptoms you are describing, it sounds pretty minor.

A prop rebuild will only cost you a few hundred bucks. I am not sure about your deductible but it may even be more than a rebuild.

I would have got a full estimate before making the decision to do an insurance claim.

One day, you will hit something big. That is when you want to make a claim.

My plan was/is to alert my insurance company, get the boat to the shop, find out the damage and then either bail or proceed with the claim. From my initial conversation with the insurance rep this is a reasonable approach. Right?
    2009 Outback V