Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Big Brother is Watching - crap, found me!

Every so often I'll play around with Google Maps, Earth, etc. to scope out areas we are planning to go camping or boating and I'll usually take a peak at our other regular spots too. Since they never used to date stamp the satellite imagery I've always wondered how up-to-date they are. A friend does the same thing and she pointed this out to me over the weekend.

Lady Island on the Columbia River

There are a few boats on that stretch of beach with the little cove. Looks kind of familiar.

Holy crap! That's us!
    Mine is the one on the left nosed in. The black swim platform with the yellow border gives it away. We must have been unloading gear or people. I can see my yellow buoy and yellow anchor line going up to the beach. That is also my tan colored popup in front of another family's blueish popup. That's their big fun island. Another buddy's wave runner off in the middle and his Malibu on the far right nosing in towards their camp.

Here's the full size: http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k...rent=ggl-3.jpg

Well apparently now they do date stamp stuff - that was August 20, 2011 around 10am or so! I had played hookie from work Thur and Fri. We were on the river every day from about 10am-10pm Thursday-Sunday. Some friends came out and camped. We just left our stuff, went home for the night, and back out each day for 4 days in a row. Kinda cool - but still kinda spooky...
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Hopefully your bosses don't know all your personal little details such as rope color and tent color!!
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

and, in checking the time stamp of your post today, you are again playing some sort of hookie?

cool.....
    at least they didn't catch you tossin the aluminum back or you and the missus "enjoying" your time on the water
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

hahah that is great. You need to watch out since Google/facebook have made stocking people so anyone can do it.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    and, in checking the time stamp of your post today, you are again playing some sort of hookie?
    Monday morning doldrums... I keep thinking I should be independently wealthy by now and be on the water every day the sun is shining. Then the phone rings and I wake up and notice the little puddle of drool on my desk.

This is also why I'll probably turn down any company cell phone in the future and opt to just use my own. I have tracking setup on my account with my kids so I can get a pretty accurate map reading where they are whenever I want. Could just see the company doing that to me when I call in sick. Little blue dot showing up in the middle of the river...

You do bring up a good point on what a company can do. Kind of crazy. In a medical center most of them now have RFID badges that let you into rooms and different parts of the buildings. Well they can also track were the badge is at in the building. Same technology used to track product in a warehouse except you are the product. Your boss really can become big brother now a days.
    2008 Outback V - Sold but never forgotten.
    “Do not wait; the time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along." -Napoleon Hill

If using the google earth it has a date stamp. Google maps using the "satellite/earth" tab doesn't have a date stamp. Not sure why because in most cases it's the same imagery.

If your snooping around you can find some instances where earth will have a brand new image layer where maps hasn't been
    Updated yet.

Pretty cool stuff nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Todd
    2017 SUPRA SA450

Yep - I use google maps more than earth and am used to not seeing the date stamp. Was surprised to see it on Earth.

Here's the "beach view" of that spot, probably on the same day!

WOW,

This is last summer at our house, you can see Black Betty, and Fierah in the driveway, Claudia's old car.

Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]