Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Boat Prices!?!?!!?!

Gang,

After my last post about the new LSV, it got me thinking about how much boats costs and I did some quick math.

In 2005 I bought my boat, a 2001 Outback DD (so 4 years old) with 100 hours for $20k (about 60% of what a 2005 would have cost?*)

*This is based on a guess of a $35k cost for a new 2005 like mine. Not sure how accurate, but has to be close.

If I were to buy a boat now under similar circumstances (4 years old, so a 200 for about 60% of new cost ($45k for an LSV?) I should be able to get one for about $27k. Sound about right?

So I searched Boat Trader for all ski & wakeboard boats within 500 miles from 2007 to 2009 from between $25k and $30k... and there were 2 listings. A 2007 Outback DD for $29k and a Ski Nautique 196 for $30k.

So maybe I was optomistic with my pricing, so I bumped it to 60% of $50k (about $30k) and a few more listings popped up... (searched between $30k and $35k)

2007 Mobius LSV $34k
    2006 Gekko $31k (new motor?)
    2008 iRide $33.5k
    2009 Mobius LS $35k (70 hours)
    2008 SN 196 $34k
    2008 SN 2006 $35k

Still more money than I figured one would spend.

So all Mobius LSV in 500 miles for ANY price...

the 2007 from above ($34k)
    a 2008 for $40k! (can't you almost get a new one for this?)

So I guess I am confused. Is this due to inflation, or did I just get a awesome deal on my boat? What is the depreciation per year on these type of boats? I thought the economy was not doing well?

Thoughts?

Boat prices are way up!!! Good news is you can probably still get close to $15K-$20K for your boat. Lots of reasons I think.....
    -New boat prices are much higher now, so that will drive up the used market
    -Low supply of used wakeboard boats right now
    -Out of country buyers (Canada and Australia) buying boats in the US
    -Very few Repo boats in the market any longer

All these add up to the perfect storm (HIGH prices)

Not sure but I think new LSVs are going for upper 40s to low 50s.

I have no clue with the DD boats.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Yup I did a quite a bit of work on mine and I am hoping to get low $20's for it yet, 02 LSV loaded.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

I know I got a screaming deal but to think that I paid under 22k for a 2008 Moomba DD with 86hrs in mint condition 3 years ago sure does make me happy.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

3 years ago was the time to buy. Boats were cheap. You could sell the boats you bought brand new back then today for what you paid for it.... Those days are long gone.

The problem for me is that I am not going to sell my current boat. My wife wants to rip all the wakeboard related stuff off of it and convert it to a "slalom only" boat. So in a couple of years when I finish grad school, I will be wanting to up grade to a v-drive with no trade or large down payment. Also, by that time, my truck will have 200k miles on it so I will have to replace that too. And have you seen the price of trucks! Oh well, that is why I have to buy used stuff!

It kind of sucks because as much as I love my boat and Moomba and would love to support Skier's Choice and my awesome dealer here (White Lake Marine) with a new boat purchase, I don't see it ever happening. I will have to keep buying used stuff. I also do all my own maintenance and cleaning, so the only way I can support them is if I buy parts. In fact, I have mentioned this before, I wish White Lake Marine would set up a "Moomba Parts" website like they have done for the "Nautique Parts," I would buy all of my maintenance stuff from them. I hate having to walk into the MC dealer here and buy impellers and oil filters and spark plugs, but they are 15 minutes down the road. And yes, I go out of my way to buy OEM parts, like a Penzoil PZ3 filter, not some parts store knock off.

My Outback is a FANTASTIC boat. I have had it for 7 years, have about 550 hours on it, and it has NEVER been to the dealer, or ANY mechanic, for ANY problems.

Oh well, maybe in a couple of years, Santa RickT will be wanting to help a loyal Moomba brother out!

My wife would kill me if I thought about buying another boat right now. Even if it crosses my mind I would never be able to get another new 23' v drive for what I paid for my 2010 in July of 2011. I got a great price and it seems that the new model pricing is creeping up each year.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Plenty of deals out there, just take more then 5 minutes to find. I love old junk but that's just me. I built my old centurion into a good wakeboard boat and even surfed behind it. Confused why you would take parts off? Enjoy, sell when ready, buy more used junk. I stole my new piece of crap and couldn't be happier!
    -Jake

Dealers love to sell used boats too...
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold