Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer lock

Default Trailer lock

Is there anyway I can lock my trailer so it doesn't get taken while im gone? Im just a paranoid person that is trying to be safe. Let me know if there's anything I can do
    2016 Mojo
    2010 Moomba LSV-Sold

try this.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104642280

do you have as swing away tonge?, if you do you can just put a master lock in the hole part.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I use these, all at the same time:

http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Rackem/RA-25.html

http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Diversi-Tech/DT25013.html

and i put a padlock through the hole in the coupler where a pin normally goes through (the pin that's attached to the trailer)
    2006 Outback V - Gone
    2008 LSV - Gone
    2013 other brand

I use a gun lock that goes where the pin on the ball hitch normally goes. I never take it off. I have heard of trailers getting stolen at boat ramps but not sure how often this actually happens. I also have a lock on the hitch that I got from Walmart. I have the keys to the locks on the boat keys and the truck keys.
    2012 Mojo
    2009 LS (SOLD!!!)
    2010 Tundra 5.7 Crewmax 4X4

If I didn t but an "amplock" my insurance didn t want to ensure my boat.....amplock are very expensive and supposed to be almost unbreakable.
    Mobius LSV 2011
    GIII, V2 Tower, Indmar 325,

those master locks are mostly security theater. I can pick most in just a minute or two. better than nothing? perhaps..but if someone wants your trailer it's gone.
    08 Outback
    82 American Skier

Quote Originally Posted by phospher View Post
    those master locks are mostly security theater. I can pick most in just a minute or two. better than nothing? perhaps..but if someone wants your trailer it's gone.
    I dont get your post. The OP was asking about suggestions on what people use for trailer locks, and your reply was "i can pick a masterlock in 2 minutes". Well I can bolt cut a masterlock in 3 seconds, what's your point? Unless your a locksmith, the avg. joe thief doesn't know much about how to pick a masterlock or any lock of that matter and is going to use brute force to get it, but again it's more than likely broad daylight and I don't think you're wandering up to someone's truck and trailer with your lock picking equipment and sneakingly bending down to work on the lock. Does it happen? Sure. Is it likely, no.

Yes, it is as you say "security theather", a.k.a. visual theft deterrent. It's better to have something rather than not and make it damn easy to just unhitch your trailer and it's gone.

If someone wants anything bad enough there's a good chance they'll get it. I just dont get why you contributed with that?

FWIW I use a simple masterlock.

Justin
    2008 Supra 21V
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2008 Supra 21V-Currently For Sale

but if someone wants your trailer it's gone.
    no amount of security will prevent if they want it bad enough. the idea of security it just to keep the "opportunity" thieves at bay..

I use a lock through the hitch clasp, but if I was leaving it outside, I'd pull the swing pin and put another lock through that..

I've always worried more about someone stealing the audio gear than the boat/trailer, but not sure that most young thieves know how much gear is really in some of these boats much less how to find it..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

if someone wants your trailer it's gone.
    Ha! My wife has a 21 pt checklist for securing all the stuff at the lakehouse when we leave. I always teller that we are just deterring the "honest thieves."