Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best "Age" to sell a Boat

I have been lurking on here for last several months, picking up a lot of good information, and this site helped me in my purchase this spring of a 2012 XLV, but just like vehicles theres has to be a "good" time to sell, not the time of the year, but if its prior to waranty expiring, or 3-5 years old, under a certain # of hours. Don't get me wrong, I have no complaints, boat has been nearly perfect, it's been the perfect mix of great amounts of space and performance, and i don't see any reason to buy anything else at the current time.

Im one of those people that rarely keep a vehicle past the warranty expiration, so just trying to get an idea from people that have probably been in the same situation with boats.

Our 07 had low hours and maintained. Traded it this year for a 2012 xlv for the bigger size and space. Not issues on the warranty as we had one year on the obv
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I take care of my stuff and drive them forever so I'm not one to trade or get rid of just for something new. No help here

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Typically, selling before the 10 yr mark is best. Another factor is the model of boat and if there have been updates/redesigns. A redesign will cause you older boat's value to go down. Things that will help you retain value is general appearance, interior appearance, and low hours. No one is looking for a high hours, beat to crap, scratched up boat.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Depends on economy, IMO. I say 4 yrs.

Good topic... I would like to hear more weigh in. We were aiming to sell / trade our '08 in next year. I think it will have around 175 hr on it.
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

I'm very curious to hear the underlying desire to trade up. If it's going to a bigger or smaller hull or d-drive to v-drive that is understandable. But for example going from one LSV to a newer LSV? Going newer just for the sake of being newer?

For me I will probably keep this boat until I outgrow it and then let the kids use it. Other than some new upholstery, carpet, a few other cosmetic things etc. there's really not much I'd change. Before too long it will be considered a classic!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I'm very curious to hear the underlying desire to trade up. If it's going to a bigger or smaller hull or d-drive to v-drive that is understandable. But for example going from one LSV to a newer LSV? Going newer just for the sake of being newer?

For me I will probably keep this boat until I outgrow it and then let the kids use it. Other than some new upholstery, carpet, a few other cosmetic things etc. there's really not much I'd change. Before too long it will be considered a classic!
    While I will likely own my current boat for quite a while, some of the things that would push me to upgrade, even to the same model, would be tandem trailer, snap out carpet, deeper hull, and 2 point tower. But you make a good point and I would not likely upgrade my 08 (or even an 06 if I had one) to a 2012 for example as so little changed.

Thanks everyone for the input, this is the first boat that I have purchased new (other than a few "cheap" aluminum fishing boats), prior to purchase I did a lot of surfing on used boat websites, and seemed that most used boats didn't appear until they hit the 4 year mark, didn't know if this was a coincidence or there was some fundamentally break point where the depreciation and resale equaled out.

As I stated earlier, I have been totally pleased with the current XLV, and I still think it was a great boat to get the family more into watersports, and given our limited time that we can use it, I am really glad we didn't jump in with an 80-100K higher end boat. Many people have asked how we picked this brand and model, and I give the same response everytime..... i got more "boat" for the money, sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles as some of the higher end boats, but at the point, those extras were not important to us, as the kids get more involved and interested who knows......

My 05 lsv has just over 400 hrs on her now and i wouldn't think of getting rid of her unless moomba made a huge hull improvement or we just out grew it. As long as you maintain it as you should, I say keep it until you're tired of it or just need more room.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    2005 mobius lsv