Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Got Prop issues? I just got the Diesel of Props. ACME 1617 its a beast

I was runing the well known OJ Wake Board prop 14.25 x 14. This is a really sweet prop, awesome hole shot and great acceleration but has 1 huge limiting factor, noisy, lots of vibrations.

Up untill last summer i wasnt having to much problems and once i hit that magical 3K ballast mark my prop started to show its weakness. If i was running a surf wake apx 2200 lbs plus people i couldnt get over 15mph, why would you want to? If you need to hit the marina or drop someone off at the doc but you had your wave all dialed in, you dont want to drain and refill. Just put everyone on the opposite side and roll out. Well i couldnt as the prop was maxed, she was giving all she had.

I talked to Spencer at wake makers and asked what he thought was the best prop. This year im running nearly 4K ballast plus people and i dont want to hear prop growl, vibrations, or have hole shot issues.

Joking he said ill hook you up with the Diesel of props. This thing pulls like your truck does. Its got a little lower top end of course but the power in unreal in a prop, and its actually smaller in diamiter for better trailer clearence. I personally dont have that issue as i had my bunks all raised the first year.

I got this prop and installed it.

The ACME 1617 4 Blade propeller offers the most aggressive holeshot and acceleration for heavily weighted boats, but in a slightly smaller diameter for boats that have clearance issues.

If you use your boat entirely for wakesurfing and wakeboarding, and have added a significant amount of additional ballast, the ACME 1617 propeller will restore your boats acceleration, speed holding and fuel economy.

Specifications
    Diameter: 14"
    Pitch: 13.75"
    Cup: .105
    Rotation: Left Hand
    Shaft: 1 1/8"

Water test time. Leaving the doc, its super quite, hit it up to 11mph to see what surf speed noise, nothing silent just engine noise. I was feeling pretty good about this prop.

I slowed down to idle then punched it. Boat jumped out of the water on plane in about 5 seconds and was doing 28 before i even looked at the speedo. Wow not bad but the boat is empty.

We loaded up the nose and some rear weight for wake boarding and off we went. I took it easy on the pull ups as i knew this prop was stought. I got out there and pull ups were great, but still nothing really different then the OJ prop just ran a lot quiter.

Yesterday was the real turning point of this prop.

We had the surf wave dialed in and were surfing. Claudia gets off work comes tot he lake, text me shes at the doc. Were across the lake, so i get back in the boat, we all sit on the opposite side, were running axp 2500lbs of ballast for surfing. Wake plate down and we hit it, 10 comes fast, then 15, then 25 and then 30MPH smooth no problem for this prop at all. Me and Steve were shocked as the OJ wont go over 15. We slowed down to 25 as thats teh cruising speed i prefer. Ran over to the doc and picked her up. Enjoyed the rest of the day. This prop is simply amazing. You dont even realize the power of it till you weight the boat, its as if when you weight it the prop knows it and really comes to life.

Then came the last final test, 2 days on the lake both days were 4hours on the engine. This is very average for us and im pretty consistent 1/2 tank a fuel a day in the boat, as we will up every time we go out. 20 gallons a day average over 3 summers, when we goto the Hagg.

Both days it only took 14 gallons to fill up. Thats a 6 gallon savings over normal and at 20 bucks a day savings that means every 3rd time out is free LOL compared to our normal cost. Now i know this is only the first week, ill be keeping tabs. A savings of apx 1 gallons per hour of running is very respectable.

Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Very interesting - thanks for the report. So did you do a top speed run?

Quote Originally Posted by brain_rinse View Post
    Very interesting - thanks for the report. So did you do a top speed run?
    No not yet lol. I will next weekend when we go out. My old prop was 37 i would expect this prop to be right around 35 but ill check.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

i know this might be dumb but will it fit under the 04 DD ? i need an upgrade since my stock prop would rather not be on plane and bogg the boat down..and now that i hit a dumb log and bent a little part on the prop and a nice vibration ,im in the market
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

Quote Originally Posted by motosno963 View Post
    i know this might be dumb but will it fit under the 04 DD ? i need an upgrade since my stock prop would rather not be on plane and bogg the boat down..and now that i hit a dumb log and bent a little part on the prop and a nice vibration ,im in the market
    Id like to think it does as its slightly smaller in diameter then wake board prop. Its 13.75 in diameter. WHat size prop is on your boat right now?

Or you can try calling Wake Makers or ACME to ask they should know also.
    [COLOR="#696969"]

its an OJ prop..ill look when i get home in about an hour or two
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

Mike, did you ever to a top speed run?
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    Mike, did you ever to a top speed run?
    I think its about the same as my OJ wake prop, we were doing 35mph at 4K RPM not to much RPM left before the boat cuts us off.

The best part is i was running 3K ballast and 5 adults at 35mph. This prop is a beast man. My average fuel consumption has gone down as well. I was averaging 5-5.7 gallons per engine hour

We averaged 4-4.5 gallons per engine hour. Only 1 gallon an hour savings but thats about 10 bucks a day in fuel we are saving. That adds up at 30 a week and 120 a month average savings, that means this prop will pay for its self by this time next year just in fuel savings.

Over the 4 day weekend we added 16hours to the boat
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Mike, very good review, and after reading Engine nuts comments about reaching max rpm with full load it sounds like you have found the best prop for your use. and that gas saving is amazing
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart

I had the Acme 1617 installed this winter and finally was able to try it out today. We were running 1100s in the rear lockers and had the center tank and 750 ibs full. We also had 6 people in the boat. I was very disappointed. I am not sure if we had too much weight in the back or what the deal was but there was minimal improvement if any over the old 537 that came with the boat. Anyone have any thoughts on what I may be missing? I was expecting the boat to get up and go like it would with minimal weight. We were not able to get on plain. I dumped some ballast and was finally able to get the boat up to 20. Are my expectations too high or is the prop not right?
    2014 Moomba LSV