Thread: My "M" broke :(

Default My "M" broke :(

I don't know how it happened, not a scratch on the boat, but man it burns my ass!!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341101013.834157.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341101026.731490.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341101039.497131.jpg
    Does any body have a spare chrome "M" left over that they might want to sell??? Please????

I'll even take one that doesn't have the sticky stuff on it...as long as its in good shape, and the right price.

Thanks
    Kelly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2010 MOOMBA LSV
    340 CAT
    ACME 1235
    3100#'s

Sorry to hear about that Krak. So, my original letters, E4Nash, Krak, and there were a couple others that have had issue with these OEM letters. Does anyone else see a pattern? My news ones better not have any adhesion issues... I'm not dropping 500 buckes every year to keep replacing defective letters.
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

When E and I were at Atlanta Marine looking at his replacements, we saw what might have happened. When the shop guys tried to pull the backing from the decals, some of the "sticky stuff" and the foam backing satyed stuck to the backing (i.e. it pulled off the chrome decal). ATL Marine didn't proceed with applying these decals on E's boat and ordered another set.

Our guess was that something along these lines may have happened during the manufacturing process and was missed during QC. Kelly, talk to your local dealer to see what/if they can do anything for you. Kapt'n Kraig, be REAL careful when you peel the backing off your new decals prior to installation. If any of the foam sticks to the backing, give Scott a call.

Thanks Drew, I was REAL careful and the new set is already on my boat. My concern is the same thing that happend last time where parts of the lettering become unglued and then get caught on the dock, or the trailer, or a towel while wiping down the boat, and the durn things get all bent busted and ripped again.

Edit: If the adhesive is coming off the decal when removing the backing then I expect it can come off the decal at anytime as the problem seems to be the adhesive is not bonding with the decal very well in some cases.
    Last edited by KSmith; 07-02-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

I may not be able to explain this well enough, but if nothing stayed stuck to the backing, then I think you will be fine. Remember how tough it was to get all the goo off when you removed the decals before?

I think the problem comes about when the foam seperates, in essence ripping off the decal and leaving some foam, and more importantly some adhesive, stuck on the backing paper. It then leaves a spot on the decal that isn't adhered to the boat and that's where water gets behind it and peels it back. I imagine it will be worse when this occurs on the leading (bow) edge of the decal and when at speed water is forced under the decal at this point.

Does that make more sense?

You make sense my friend, however it does not seem to me that all is well just because the adhesive doesn't pull off and stick to the backing during installation. I assert that just because it didn't seperate during the initial peeling of the backing that the foam will not seperate later under stress, such as a bump at the dock, bump the trailer guide poles, snag a corner on a towel, smackem with brian's balls. I think you hit it dead on with this statement "I think the problem comes about when the foam seperates"
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Hey Krak,

I could probably spare an M. But it is an M from the failed Non-OEM group buy attempt... kind of looks like a chromed hammered brass lure and is thinner than the OEM letters. Yeah, you're right, it'd look like crap, nevermind
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Quote Originally Posted by KSmith View Post
    Hey Krak,

I could probably spare an M. But it is an M from the failed Non-OEM group buy attempt... kind of looks like a chromed hammered brass lure and is thinner than the OEM letters. Yeah, you're right, it'd look like crap, nevermind
    lol, sometimes ideas sound better in the ole noggin.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

So no one has an old "M" in a box anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2010 MOOMBA LSV
    340 CAT
    ACME 1235
    3100#'s