Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tips on loading boat

At the risk of sounding pathetic, any tips on loading ?
    I have an 2008 Outback DD with a tandem boatmate trailer.
    I have launched and loaded my previous boat ( a i/o runabout) without fail.
    I am finding that if the water is just at or under the fender the bow wants to slip under the roller, obviously not good.
    My previous boat had a deeper hull and was lighter cranking it on was easy.
    Just wondering if it is a matter of adjusting to this new setup.
    I can get it on, don't get me wrong, but it seems like alot of heavy cranking and the top of the bow just seems to be flirting with the roller more than I am used to.
    I have not powered it on due to this.

Same launch site btw.

Thanks
    Boats....vessels of freedom. 2008 Moomba Outback 340 hp.

Ramp angle and water level have a lot to do with how easy it is to load/unload the boat. Given your discription, I have a similar ramp situation, back the trailer down with the fenders slightly under the water, slowly bring the boat up and ensure you will have the bow over the front roller. Next, pull the truck/trailer forward until the fenders are slightly out of the water, then power the boat forward to the stop. I have a boat buddy, so no cranking. Using this method, you should not have to crank at all, just attach the strap and tighten.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Sounds like the ramp angle is steeper than most I load on. That would cause the bow to want to slip under the roller. As maxpower states, just don't back down as far. Try loading with trailer out a bit. You can back in and dunk the bunks in the water and then pull back out. That's what I would try.
    Some of my ramps the angle is so flat that I damn near have to have the entire trailer in the water

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

I just have the wife and kids move to the back of the boat so I get enough bow lift to get it over the roller. After my wife gets it close to the roller that is.

Ron
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

Hey Alberta Boy,

I have the same issue with my 03 Outback. I just lower the trailer so the tops of the fenders are in the water. I can then float right up to the winch and hook up, crank and good to go. The bow of the outback is low, but once you do it a couple of times, it really is no problem.

Richard
    2016 Craz
    2007 LSV - Sold
    2003 Outback - Sold

with my 05 I have to have fender tops just out of water to get over roller. I drive on slowly then hook up and have wife back in a little to make cranking easier.
    Nick

2012 moomba mojo 2.5
    2005 Moomba outback-sold

I have the same issue at one of my regular ramps i use and so i bring boat up till its almost on, atach starp then back in trailer more,Making tugging the boat up easier. Then boat is almost floating over trailer. Now the trick is to have driver pull out slowly and try to centre boat as it comes out. Sometimes a couple trys but its a lot easier on the crank.

Really depends on the ramp.....
    07 Outback DD

Thanks all. I was hoping it wasn't just me.
    Guess I just need to dial in a system.

Well another somewhat frustrating experience last night (compared to my old boat) but it seems that having the fenders slightly above the surface is the only way, at least on the launch I use. If the fenders are under there is no way to get the bow over the roller. I had the nose up to the roller and tried back it back in a bit to make cranking easier but it seemed to start putting tons of pressure on the roller and the nose. With them above it seems like cranking is very difficult, but I can at leat get it on. I think I just need to get the bunks wet and learn to power it up more as maxpower suggested. Just new to this powering on thing.
    Not used to being the guy at the ramp that doesn't look like he has a clue.

I have had success wetting the bunks and then playing with how far out to bring the front bunks. Soon I found that every ramp was different and even different water levels during the year change the equation again. All the while each screw up costs my boat and trailer. I especially enjoyed having to power the hell out of it to unload since if you miss that depth the bow slams off the boat buddy. I even started backing in deep to float the boat and wet the bunks, then pulling out to the proper depth to unload. Still having to shove it off while wifey guns the crap out of it.

I then did some more research and found some were putting their rear truck tires about six inches into the water and finally the boat is deep enough to float on and off the trailer. Frustrated I went for it. The first thing I learned was to make sure the winch is tight or while backing in it will drop off the boat buddy before you are deep enough. Now with the winch tight I get to that depth, unhook, and float off. For loading I read to put a fist between the rub rail and trailer pylon to center the back of the boat, which works perfect but I've found pulling out slowly centers it most of the time.

We don't have too many people in the boat when we launch and load most of the time and with one in the truck and one in the boat I can't get bow lift by moving bodies. I like power loading when it goes smoothly but its no longer something I'm going to do. I considered adding front bunks which would cure the problem by lifting the bow and not letting it drop, I could go back to the old days of coming in unhooked and dumping quick. For now I will probably only add more front bunks if I run into too many shallow ramps, but so far I haven't found one.
    -Jake