Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yeah, but you obviously have extensive knowledge of garden tractor ignitions.

Quote Originally Posted by freddie36 View Post
    Thanks David for the quick reply, really wished I lived closer to Texas

I post the following to all potential readers as a warning: I trusted a local shop to handle the simple install of my 2 towers and amp. Underground Sound in Cleveland TN did the work and were—supposedly—very experienced in marine audio; they even have a huge Wet Sounds banner hanging on the roll-up door. I feel like I've been cheated horribly; the technician left wires hanging everywhere, no grommets on the tower, amp mounted upside down—imo so the tech could have easier access to the power and speaker wire connections, but by his doing so I can't view the status light. I don't mean this to be a rant and there are many other issues, the right tower wasn't even playing when I went to pick up the boat. Unfortunately, I was very tight on time—due to working nights—and didn't notice most of the shoddy workmanship until this morning. I'm going to "reinstall" everything myself and it's not exactly my area of expertise so anyone feel free to offer any advice. Here a some pics, maybe somebody can tell me if i'm just being crazy

http://s1155.photobucket.com/albums/p555/freddie361/
    Im closer then TX, but still its a 5 hr driver over the mtns. Sorry to hear about your outcome.

In regards to the status light: I would not worry about its orientation on a regular basis. As long as the amp is functioning normally, you will not need to see it as it will be green. if there is a problem, an inspection mirror will allow you to see the light and count the flashing sequence in order to determine the code.

In regards to the amps orientation: Its very common for the amps to be mounted upside down. This is do to where and how the power, RCA and speaker wires come in to the amp wall. In these cases, we remove the amp cover and rotate is 180, thus putting the logo back upright. There are 4 screws on the face of the amp then a row along each side to remove. Just keep them separated as the ones on the face are different size then the ones along the sides.

Dont hesitate to call (PM and i'll give you my number) if there is any way I can be of assistance to you.

Thanks MLA, David, and all the others for the help. Install went great, though it took me like 20 hours, lol. I'll definitely keep you in mind for the future MLA. One thing—maybe somebody can set me straight on—my right speaker seems slightly louder than the left, almost like it has more treble or something, it's not really noticeable riding at 75' and only slightly up close. Is this normal or should I try new RCA cables or something? The tech at the shop I took it to had damaged the neutrik connectors by plugging them in the wrong way and rounding the little plastic ridges, they still click into place, but could probably be tighter.

You can isolate the issue by reversing the channels and switching the relationship between speakers/tower harness and amplifier. Do the same by reversing the RCAs, first related to the amplifier and then related to the upstream source. It is very easy to isolate the true cause via process of elimination. Don't go out and buy replacement product before having found the culprit. An RCA is not usually the cause of a non-linearity problem. Usually a bad RCA cable or termination would equally impact the entire bandwidth.
    If you narrow it down to one of the speakers, there is a separate terminal inside for the tweeter. A quick internal visual inspection may be in order.

David
    Earmark Marine

The only other thing I could add is to make sure that the head-unit balance is centered, if the H/U allows for balance. And just double check that the "Amp-1" and "Amp-2" gains and cross-over settings are identical. More so withe gain. If set to high-pass like it should, the cross-over point would be more likely to make a noticeable difference in the mid-bass between the two, rather then volume or perceived treble.

Ok. Thanks again David and MLA. I pulled the driver, everything is hooked up correctly as far as I can tell. Speakers are in phase etc. I talked to wet sounds and I guess I'll have to send it in and have em test it. Probably after this weekend first though. Lol.