Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vapor Lock Cure Works

Had our week of vacation during the record setting heat wave here in NW Illinois. Great to have a boat and lake to cool off in. Boat has been running great pulling skiers, boarders and surfers. Finished an early evening wakeboard set with a couple kids, pulled over to fill up for surfing. Backed out and turned it off for my surfer and then nothing. On top of it, the ignition breaker popped. I dragged it back to the dock and emptied the ballast. Got to thinking about what I had read on this forum about vapor lock, soaked a towel in the lake and wrapped the top end. 15 minutes later, back in business. Thanks for all the great information out here.

I have somehow managed to never have this happen but good to know it works as advertised. With 100 degree weather warming my water up to 90 plus, I have no idea how I haven't had it happen at least once.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

I'm right there with you bull dog, boated all last year in water over 90 and air over 100 and never had a single vapor lock occurrence

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

You two realize that you have, most likely, just jinxed yourselves?

Oh heavens I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say anything as to not jinx myself. Get to knocking on some wood fellas, and i don't mean the kind of wood Dusty's mom knocks on!
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

I experienced Vapour lock twice last week. Both times it happened about 15-30 min after a wakeboard session. Vapour lock seems to happen to me when heat builds up in the engine compartment. The boat started fine then a few seconds later the idle fell to about 500 and then the boat stalled. I freaked out the first time. Then remembered reading on the forum to pour cold water on the fuel pump & filter. I did both. I also poured cold water on the fuel rails and released some fuel pressure from the fuel pressure gage valve (looks like a tire valve on the Fuel rail). After that the boat started right up. Thank you Moomba Forum.

I'm thinking that I need to run the blower more often and for longer periods on hot days.
    2006 LSV

Didn't skiers choice fix the problem for the 08 and up boats?
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

I've experienced this problem twice, both before I knew what it was and both times I had to be towed back. Pouring cold water did no good once I had the problem. Both days it was around 100 degrees and both times the engine was off for about an hour. Once we stopped at a dockside restaurant for lunch, another time we were just floating and swimming, etc. I was told it was caused by heat building in teh engine compartment once the motor is off and thus not cooling any further to the point that the gas in fuel line actually turns to gas (vapor). Once that happens, the only thing I was able to do was wait. After about two days in both instances, the motor started right up and ran perfectly.

Now I'm paranoid and if it's a hot day, I run the blower when the motor is off, unless the motor box is open. If I am going to stay stopped for a long period of time, I will occasionally open the motor box to let the trapped air out and cooler air in. If I go to eat lunch, I just prop the clamshell box open. A few times I"ve even poured cool water over the fuel line and pump. Never any problems since.

I'm told the newer models have the fuel pump in the gas tank, which apparently fixes the issue. It's the only problem I've ever had with the boat, and it's not really a problem with the boat - all the older style boats apparently can get it.

I don't think I have a pressure bleed on my fuel line - where would it be for me to look? Also, I never tried wrapping a cold towel around the pump but if I ever have it again, I will try that for sure.

I've found that running the blower nonstop on hot days when you are recreating, especially surfing eliminates the issue altogether. have not had it happen in over 2 years now following that..

and fwiw, the last time I did have it, a 16oz water over the fuel filter/pump cured the issue.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

I've seen similar results as sandm

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded