Default Kenwood kca-rc60mr Wired Remote Issues

i just purchased a new Wired Remote (kenwood kca-rc60mr) to replace one that had went out. I hooked it all up right just like the last one was. It works fine while the boat is on trailer... but once i get boat into water and start cruising and go to use remote it doesnt work at all not one function works. i load the boat back up and after 15 mins on trailer it works again.... i have traced all wires....ran new ground wire direct from battery and still have issues once boat hits water...... any answers or help please????

is the difference between the boat running and not running. I can't imagine in the water vs out of the water would have an effect on the remote
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

while its on the trailer running or not both controllers work (driver and transom remotes) but i back the boat in the controllers work but once i put boat in gear and start moving they both quit... then dont even work til i put boat back on trailer... it got me stumped for sure

Hello all - newbie Brian from Columbus Oh. here. I have a very similar problem with similar equipment, just wondering if you got anywhere on this. I apologize - no Moomba - have an 89 Mastercraft PS 190 with little room for a mega stereo, and I don't need to shake the whole lake, just want to hear it (and control it) while at speed, so, years ago, I bought a Kenwood radio/cd, can't remember model, tho, but it was 50W X4, and a KCR-RC50MR (not 60). Had problems with the head shutting off when cranked up, hooked it directly to battery and it worked fine. Remote was hooked to under dash wiring. Everything worked great.

Wanted to get something with USB/Aux inputs, so I asked Kenwood if the 50 remote would work with the 440u head unit. First they said no, then yes, and when I told them they were not inspiring a lot of confidence, they said yes. Their support is not good, IMHO, but I liked how the remote was mounted to the right of the dash close to my right hand, so I bought the 440u.

Now the problem. When the boat is running, the remote won't work. Actually it responds once in a great while, like you push next track or volume 50 times and it will work once. Works great if the engine is off. I've tried hooking both up to the boat battery, no help. Hooked both up to a battery jumper box and it works fine, running or not. Voltage on boat battery at rest is about 12.5V. When the engine is running it is 14.0V. No AC ripple on battery when boat is running, 0.0 to 0.1 VAC. If I split the power connections between the boat battery and jumper box it does not work, no matter which is hooked to which battery. I don't even think this works when the engine is off, but will have to recheck that. Tried an old power conditioner that I had laying around (supposed to stop engine whine thru the speakers in a car) and that did not help.

That's about it. Doubt that I will ever buy another Kenwood product again, this has been going on for 2 years. Have not contacted them about this, cause their support was lousy for my previous problem. Another thing I'm not happy about is the fact that I can't play totally random from a USB drive, only random from one folder, which is limited to 256 songs. This info was not even in the owners manual, found it in an obscure web page on their site.

Any help/suggestions/input would be appreciated. I set up to receive emails from here, or reply here.

If you managed to get thru this novella, Thanks,
    Brian

I'm having the same issue. I also have the KCA-RC60MR that I used to replace the stock remote. It runs fine on the trailer, and for about the first hour or two on the water, then it just seems to stop working. I can press a button like the volume and it will work about 1 out of 20 tries. I have checked the wire and can't find anything wrong. The next time I take it out, it works for the first half of the day and then same deal. Would like to know if anyone has any ideas.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

Angry Update

Tried it again today with head and remote hooked to jumper box and it won't work when the boat is running. Works fine with the boat not running. The other day it worked fine with the jumper box while the boat is running.

I'm considering buying a 60 remote to see if it works, but hate to waste $50 on something I am pretty sure won't help. I am sure the 50 has been rained on many times, but why does it work fine when the engine is not running? Driving me batty.

I did send Kenwood an email regarding this, but it's Saturday and I doubt I'll hear from them any time soon.

Anybody have any insight?

Thanks,
    Brian

Tonight I hooked the head and remote to a jumper box, did a reset on the head unit per Kenwood and it worked with engine running or not. Never acted up once. Until - I hooked them both to the boat battery and it would not work with the engine running. Gotta love it.

Quote Originally Posted by bcl View Post
    Tonight I hooked the head and remote to a jumper box, did a reset on the head unit per Kenwood and it worked with engine running or not. Never acted up once. Until - I hooked them both to the boat battery and it would not work with the engine running. Gotta love it.
    Kenwood KMR107...will solve all of your kenwood remote issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD! 2011 Mobius LSV 325HP EFI
    Digital Cruise Pro, Wakeplate, Kenwood KM550U and KCA-RC107MR x2, Kicker ZXM700.5, Kicker 6.5 Cabins, 10'' Kicker CompVT sub, Wetsounds SYN 4, Wetsounds REV10s, Wetsounds WS420Q, Gravity VI Surf Ballast, Acme 537

Board: '12 LF Harley (Monster) 139
    Her Board: '11 Ronix Krush 128
    Kids Board: '13 Ronix Vision 120
    Skate: LF Faction 44
    Surf: LF Custom Quad & XXX

Tow Rig:
    2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Magnetic Grey
    3/1 Truxx Lift, and some other stuff...

My remotes only work intermittently as well. They seem to work perfectly when the boat is not running but when at speed and the volume is up turned up, they only work intermittently. Someone on here theorized that maybe the remote cable is getting interference from the speaker wires at high volume.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV

Hi Al,

What are the details of your system? Head and remote models, I mean

I emailed Kenwood about this and their best answer is that the remote is losing power intermittently. They said I should have a certified installer check it out. I am an electronic tech with 30 years experience. I replied that that answer is illogical and they need to escalate the problem to someone with some real knowledge. I also wrote that they should do a Google search for "wired remote problem" and see how many Kenwood products show up, which is quite a few. Apparently that peeved them off cause I haven't heard back from them for days. Somewhere someone wrote that Kenwood customer service was good, maybe that was on another site. I disagree. A LOT.

If the problem is interference, then shouldn't turning the volume way down make the remote work? I will try that next chance I get. I did have a powered antenna hooked up and disconnected power from it and signal cable from the radio, and then it worked on the jumper box for the first time. Not sure if it is just a coincidence or not, I have had trouble since then.

I ordered a model 60 remote off eBay and will install soon, not here yet. Maybe the 50 has got wet enough times to be flaky.

Later,
    Brian