Default Starter Problem??? Help Please!!!

Ok Boys,

Had an early end to my 4th of july today. Wanted to see if you guys can help with this one.

It seems that for while now my boat has been harder and harder to start. Once it gets going it is fine but it has been harder and harder to get it to turn over. When turning the key it acts like its got a dead battery. I turn the key back off then crank again and it struggles but it fires up. That is... until now. Today it did the same thing...did the routine I jut described, and it started up. Got to the middle of the lake and turned off the boat....thats all she wrote. I tried and tried but it wouldn't even try to turn over. I even tried to jump it but got nothing. Didn't change when jumpers were attached so I rulled out the batteries.

Does this sound like a starter issue? Should that be the first place I attack?

As Always...Thanks for the help.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2004 Supra Launch

Acme 913 Prop
    WS420, L5 kicker sub, JL/Kicker Amps
    4 Polk mm in Roswell, 6 Kicker in boats
    3000# Ballast

I could be the starter and that is as good a place to start as any. Pull it off and see if your local auto shop will bench test it for you. Auto parts stores used to do stuff like that, not sure if they still do.
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Yea that was going to be my first avenue. I think they still do that.

2004 Supra Launch

Acme 913 Prop
    3000# Ballast

If you are going to the parts store for a test, take your battery too. They can load test it to see if it has a bad cell. Also, try looking at the ignition switch. Turn the boat on a few time and jiggle the key slightly in the on position to see if the gauges "reset", like doing a self test.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

next question.... rebuilt starter or new?

2004 Supra Launch

Acme 913 Prop
    3000# Ballast

Quote Originally Posted by cmtaylor777 View Post
    next question.... rebuilt starter or new?
    For me it'd depend on the cost difference. If rebuilt were 100 and new 250 I'd go rebuilt, if r = 100 and n = 150 I'd go new. All depends on your pain points.
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

I believe I got mine for $205 from Atlanta Marine. Rebuilt ones were around $125 in my neck of the woods.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Ok guys... It was the starter. Pulled it off, sent it to an old school shop and had it rebuilt. i een talked to the local Supra shop and he said they use to have them rebuilt all the time until they found that the rebuilt ones were almost the same cost as a new one. I found a place to rebuild for 60 bucks while a new one was 260.

Went out over the weekend and it worked like a champ. Thanks guys for all the help!!!

2004 Supra Launch

Acme 913 Prop
    3000# Ballast

Great news! Glad it was a simple and fairly inexpensive fix!
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V