Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default outback ski wake

I have a 2007 outback with tower, and have loved it. Recently we feel our wake has gotten larger and trying to figure why. A couple observations; 1- the steering has gotten loose, and will be replacing the connection in the stern soon. 2-I discovered that there are some relatively minor gouges to the bottom about 1/3 from the bow on the ridge line (teenage nephew using boat??). The boat seems to be "skipping about" and is difficult to keep straight, actually feels like it is planing too high in the water(like an over trimmed outboard) . I have checked the 3 blade prop, and looks ok, as does the drive shaft.
    We ski with 15 off, just open water, 33-35mph, try to have 1/2 tank gas with driver and 1 spotter. There is a fixed plate on the stern. Having a tough time figuring what is up and hoping someone has some advise, as the wake is definitely higher, and steeper.

jay dub - A steep, high wake would indicate the boat is riding low, displacing more water. Everything else being equal, I would conclude there is a coupe hundred pounds of water in the bilge. If sloshing around, it might also explain the change in feel when steering that you describe as "skipping about". I don't believe the loose steering or minor gouges in the hull would have any connection to the negative change in wake when skiing. With a half tank of gas and only two people in the boat, you are running pretty optimal for slalom. It's the setup for mine, which like yours is an '07 with factory tower. Unlike yours, the wake behind mine is the same as day one. Please let us know the diagnosis after you get it figured out. Thanks. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

I'm thinking the same as Deerfield and that your teenage nephew has been doing donuts in your boat and taking on water. Check the bilge for water and that the pump is working properly.

Thanks, I will double check the bilge situation. I don't think there is any discernable water in the engine compartment. Is it possible there could be anywhere else? I have also become aware that when the boat is not perfectly balanced left to right with equal weight, the wake is very uneven. i.e. if the driver weighs 200lbs (me) and the spotter weighs 130lbs, the passenger side of the wake is considerably higher.

Is the any advise on messing with the fixed plate?

Jay Dub
    2007 Outback

Jay Dub - I figure engineers who designed the Outback hull incorporated the fixed plate to provide additional ride performance and lift at certain boat speeds. Removing the plate may drop the stern, displace more water, and result in a slightly larger wake or longer distance to get on plane. Things to avoid in slalom and jump. Going the other direction, bending the plate to create an acute angle to the water might get you up on plane more quickly and further flatten out the table behind the boat. The fixed plate on my '07 Outback is approximately 3" deep and 22" wide. It is affixed to the underside of the hull with twelve screws. Assuming you have the same fixed plate, it would not be an easy thing to modify or change, so my advise is to leave it as is. - Deerfield
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Regarding water in the boat, as far as I know there are no hidden compartments under the deck of an Outback. Water over the bow or stern will run to and settle at the lowest point. If you have water in the boat, you will see it in the area around the bilge pump and drain hole. No place else for it to hide in an Outback.

I agree with you that the boat needs to be balanced to get even wakes. Depending on the weight variance between driver and spotter, that can be a challenge. I understand the issue. My sons are big guys and can really throw off the balance. If lighter than the driver, just have the spotter slide as far as possible to the port side. Or add another spotter to balance out. That's about all you can do.
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

Yea, I have the same plate, and don't think it should be messed with. I will check it out when we pull the boat to see if any evidence of damage to it.

No evidence of water in the boat either, I will work on balancing weight, and play with putting some weight in the bow. Funny, have owned the boat fo 5 years and have always felt the wake was great, even with 3-4 people in boat. Never even occurred that weight balance was a significant issue. Now something is different. Thanks for your suggestions.
    JW

outback

Another thing to consider may be items being stowed on board. Anchor, ropes ,lifejackets coolers etc. Have you added stereo and or extra battery's. carrying more items on/in the boat due to accumulation over the years etc. Its all added weight. I carry more now than ever,but if circumstances are right i try to epty all non essential items ,etc,including people to achieve the best case scenario for skiing. surfing on the other hand ,total opposite.. Keep us posted.
    07 Outback DD

To this day the best waterski i have ever gone on was behind a Nautique 200. The wake was fantastic,to the point of being nearly nonexsistant. This was at a ski school in Florida,but what i'm getting at or too ,is that this boat was completely BARE. There was Nothing ,nonessential in that boat including the back seat other than a 150 lb weight ,which is/was removed depending whether a spotter was in the boat or not. This boat was EMPTY. Not even a couple CD's in the stereo. It was nearly Perfect conditions and thus a nearly Perfect wake. Weight in the boat makes a Big difference...
    07 Outback DD

Wink

I have the multi-sport wake plate on my 2008 Outback. Minor adjustments on the plate can make big changes in the wake. Have you checked out the condition of your fixed wake plate? If it's bent upwards, that could explain the bigger wake and the porpoising your talking about.
    2008 Outback
    325 EFI
    Gravity 1 Ballast and Multi Sport Wake Plate
    Rad-a-cage
    OJ 4 Blade 13x13 Prop
    5 Seasons pulling the Ski Team and still going strong!