Hybrid View

Default Sound to speakers difficulties

Hey stereo experts.
    I have a troubling question for you. I have a stock Kenwood KDC-MPV7019 in my outback that I am sure come from the factory. The problem I have is that the power to the speakers seems to sometimes work, and sometimes not. Here is my troubleshooting ideas that I have looked at:
    1. I have checked all the terminals on the speakers to see that they are not loose. They are not.
    2. I have arched my back and looked behind the HU to see if there are any loose wire, and there is not.
    3. I have downloaded the owners manual (36 pages) and nothing in there indicates what I should do.
    4. It works after I reset the fuse. I am thinking that this may be the issue, but am not a stereo, techy kind of guy.
    5. When I switch the ACC to on, the stereo powers up, everything looks to be working, but NO sound out of the speakers.

Any help and guidance would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Richard
    2016 Craz
    2007 LSV - Sold
    2003 Outback - Sold

Hey Richard,

What do you mean it seems to sometimes work? Does it work sometimes or not? When it is not working what is showing on the HU display, meaning is there constant power to the HU whenthe speakers are not working?

Is there an amplifier or are all the speakers driven by the HU?

What do you mean it works after you reset fuse? What works? What fuse?
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Sorry for the confusion.
    When I set the ACC switch on, the HU powers up, there is power and the HU looks as if it is working. However, there is no sound coming out of the speakers. I only have the 6 cabin speakers, so there is no amp. The HU is working the same when the speakers are working, but they don't work all the time. This is the super confusing part to me. Why do the speakers work sometimes, and not all the time. When the do work, I know it right away, as when I push the Tuner button on the remote, it beeps. It continues to Beep when I change the function. When the speakers work, they work great and the whole day. It is the next time I use the boat that they don't work at all. This is extremely frustrating, because I know they work, I just don't know why they don't work every time.

There is a fuse attached directly above the battery. It is attached to the positive post of the battery. When I reset this fuse, it shuts all power off to the boat, and then power back up again. Almost like putting the battery in for the first time. After I reset this fuse, the speakers work.

The real confusing part is that the HU works exactly the same when the speakers are working, and when they are not. I know right away, as the Beep is the first indication when you turn it on from the remote, or the HU.

I hope I didn't confuse you more, and thank you for trying to help me through this.

Richard
    2016 Craz
    2007 LSV - Sold
    2003 Outback - Sold

Get a new Head Unit. thats my first thought.

Second thought, is most decks have 2 power wires, 1 is the 12V power to power the deck, the second is 12v power to keep its memory. If both are hooked up to the battery and the only time the deck wants to paly correctly is after a power reset then something is hanging up in the deck.

Something with the Amplifier is my guess.
    The other thing that might be the problem is if your running all 6 speakers off the head unit then you might be running the deck at to low an Ohm rating for the internal amplifier. Most Head Units like 4 speakers, 2 front and 2 rear, but your mixing in 2 more and droping the Ohms down even more. If its a 2 channel deck meaning it only has a left and right side, not a front and rear left and right then you are dropping ohms down to 1 and i dont know any head units that can handle that.

If thats the case then you need an Amp not a head unit.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Quote Originally Posted by Kidder522 View Post
    The real confusing part is that the HU works exactly the same when the speakers are working, and when they are not. I know right away, as the Beep is the first indication when you turn it on from the remote, or the HU
    Ok so if it beeps when you turn on the HU you'll get sound, if no beep when turning on the HU then no sound. Is that correct? If so I suspect the HU is near death and is begging to be set free to accend to stereo nirvana... or where ever it is dead stereos go...
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

yes. exactly. beep, i have sound, no beep, no sound.

Thanks. I will look into it. I am heading out on holidays, so I will have time to tinker with it at the cottage.

Richard
    2016 Craz
    2007 LSV - Sold
    2003 Outback - Sold

As the beep is most likely being made through the amplifier circuit of the HU I suspect the HU amp as the most likely part. A lot of the HU have a relay circuit that applies power to the amplifier circuit, if it's older it could be a physical relay circuit , when it beeps to you hear a soft click first? Anyway, could be a bad relay that is sticking and sometimes functions and makes contact allowing the amp circuit to power up, and other times not.

Smack it with a hammer when it doesn't beep and see if that helps
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V