Thread: Power issues?

Default Power issues?

Finally got to give the boat a go for the first time this season,and listened to the boat for the first time,on the water. I've played a few hrs listening in the yard while prepping and cleaning/waxing etc the boat ,but never noticed my issue till yesterday.

I never wired the new amp and sub,with second battery as wiring is not really my thing. My question/ issue is stereo works fine while boat is off or running but as soon as boat is put into gear Stereo cuts out. I'm thinking something is wired slightly incorrect,but as i never did the wiring was wondering where to start looking??

I'm thinking this is likely an easy fix,Anyone??????
    07 Outback DD

I can't think of any circuit that is shut off when the boat is placed into gear. Please keep us updated!
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Sounds like there is a chance that you have the head unit's power wiring connected in the wrong place, that or a remote turn-on lead(s) for the amps. Not sure how you could have done it though????

There is usually a neutral-safety device that comes from the shifter mechanism either at the helm or at the transmission that prevents cranking the starter motor while the boat is in gear. That is the ONE circuit I know of that is shut off when the boat is placed into gear.

I suppose there is a possibility that you tapped the wire that comes from the neutral-safety switch. The wire will provide continuity unless in-gear. If that highly improbable scenarion is the case, you will kill radio power as soon as you move from neutral. Not sure if the neutral-safety interrupt lifts ground or kills +12v though; need to dig to see if there is a common convention.

Not sure how this could ever happen unless in the installation of the radio someone was simply probing around on wires to try to find wires to connect the radio to. If this turns out to be the case I will be really surprised!

The more probable scenario is that the wiring is somehow wrapped around the shift/throttle mechanism or cables such that there is enough tension that somehow you tug a wire just enough to break a connection, and when you shift back, the connection is restored. Check your power wiring to make sure it is not being tugged and pulled around by the shifter cables.

I will ask around if necessary to see how the neutral-safety switch is wired, either +12v or ground, but in the meantime, check those power wires to see if the neutral-safety scenario presented above might prove to be real...

Phil
    Kicker

Went to see my stereo guy today and told him whats up. He slapped his head... DOOOH. HE told me he just fixed a customers boat that the customer had done the very same thing. Likely its the Amp Feed to one of the ignition wires he tied into.
    I have a good idea how ,what and where he tied it all in so hopefully i can figure it out ,or he said bring the boat over and it will be taken care of ASAP. Says its a 2 minute fix. He could almost visualize what he had done so ,sounds like an easy fix.
    07 Outback DD

Stereo guys Hpefully found my issue.Batteries were not grounded together and a ground wire was not connected at or near the tie in to the ignition source. Turns out my Cranking battery was NOT being charged in all of this as my isolater was not recognizing charge due to the missed ground as well.
    Seems stereo battery was playing helper to the other battery which is good but primary ,starting battery now need sa good slow charge. Hpoefully all is well now...
    07 Outback DD