Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How is the LSV for slalom?

I don't own a moomba. I am looking at options when it is time to upgrade. I like to slalom, but also wakeboard. Rest of family wakeboards, and of course kids tube. I'm wondering if the LSV puts out a useful wake for a slalom run, or if even its mildest wake is too much. Sales guys say it would work great, but I would rather have non-biased input.

Any comments are welcome.

Ron

All depends on what you're currently used to skiing

If the sales guy is that sure - ask him to take you out for a run - before you buy.
    I have never skied behind a V drive so can't say - but I doubt any V drive can supply a high quality slalom wake. There are enough DD boats that are not very good wakes as well. I have a friend with a MC 209 - a crossover DD - and the wake on that is horrible.

I think part of it will depend on your speed. If you are consistently sking at 34-36 mph there is a chance you might have luck. If you are skiing around 30 mph - I would be suspicious.

If you get a DD with buildin ballast I am pretty sure you can get the wake most people can live with. I mean most wakeboarders I have known rarely get past the heelside wake-to-wake from what I have seen - and you don't need a monster wake for that. You can do that behind an outboard.

My 2cts.
    Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

I have an '08 LS (DD) my wife slaloms behind it regularly. She loves it. I pull her at 28-30mph. I would think a V-Drive would be hard to ski.
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

I think the LSV is one of the best do-it-all boat out there. Ski wake is decent, wakeboard wake and surf wave are both great.

I have had a few good slalom skiers behind my boat and at 34 mph with the wakeplate all the way down there didn't appear to be much wake at all and they all seemed to do a really nice job. Since my boat is almost always set up for wakeboarding the standard response has been "Wow, that's way better than I thought it would be!" I've never slalomed so just an untrained observation.

Möbius LS is an option of you are lookin used
    If you rec slalom lsv is probably fine. If you wanna run the course? Prob not.

Wake plate helps flatten and is necessary if you want to slalom behind lsv

Didn't MC or nautique get a v drive awsa certified?
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

It's all about weight and weight distribution. The weight distribution on a V drive is similar to an I/O so if you like skiing behind an I/O then you will like the V drive. The bigger the boat means more weight which means more displacement which means larger wake which means lousy skiing. A good ski boat is DD, small and nothing in it except PFDs, rope and a flag.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Yes, I believe MC did make a V-Drive that got certified.

I also agree that it is 100% dependent on what speed you're at, the wake difference between 28 mph and 36 mph in that boat would be huge.

I currently have a 2003 Regal 2000, which is a heavy deep V I/O. Wake isn't flat by any means, and I am just a rec skier. I keep trying to get better. I ski at about 34 currently. I will never compete or anything, but I do want my 3 or 4 runs per weekend to go along with the wakeboarding and other fun.

I appreciate your input!

Ron

Yeah you'll be fine with the LSV.