Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WAKESURFING

Default WAKESURFING

Was curious about wakesurfing and have heard that you have to be really careful due to the exhaust output of certain boats. I recently bought a 05 LSV and am wanting to get the most out of the boat. Any ideas on the safety of doing it with this model boat? thanks

Default Replying to Topic 'WAKESURFING'

The nix on this is body surfing. To get the right feel they surf close to the boat and without a lifejacket. They get a little Co2 and drown. I see no problem standing, in the back with a vest. If you pass out you will fall and float.

I also think this is a bit hyped and venture a guess that the story told and the facts are only loosely connected.

I intend to test the “trapped pocket” of CO2 with a little cigar smoke or even a cherry bomb this summer. I bet you need to be parked on a calm day with the engine running and stick your face in the exhaust.

Lifejacket – what a concept.

SD2
    Naked red and white 2005 Moomba LSV
    Teaching my kids to Ride, Shoot Strait and Tell the Truth

The risk is there. I consider the risk to be small but some trial lawyers in Seattle got my attention when the State released the names and addresses of all Moomba owners in the state so they could send out information on teak riding and surfing. A 21 year old lady drowned in 2003 from being towed around on the deck and disappeared. The Moomba web site has a good article on the risks. Hope it doesn't come to having big warning stickers stuck to the back of the boat. Ya'll be careful and grab a breath of fresh air once in a while.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Warning stickers were made to be taken OFF!
    Bruce Fuerstenberg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy shit!...what a ride!

Do not stick your tongue in the blender.

Am I the only person that hears about the 21 year old disappearing of the back of the boat and wonders, what really happened?

Did they find the body? Did the autopsy show CO intoxication and/or some other intoxication?

I would love to see an air flow analysis for trapping CO behind a moving boat on open water. I would guess it is a case of a constantly created bubble from output rather than a formed bubble.

I wonder if I can get a digital CO meter?

The 2005 manual already has a warning about Carbon Monoxide and the dangers of teak (body) and wake surfing. It nicely located right above the "Product Misuse" legal clause.

I agree with SD2 that body surfing is a bad idea. How could you NOT suck in the exhaust fumes while hanging onto the platform. Hang onto your car bumper and see what happens. As for wake surfing...I'm still interested in trying this out but fully intend on wearing a life jacket and keeping CO in mind.

Thanks all..........luckily for me I will probably be falling off often enough that I will be able to avoid the bad air. I can't imagine that it would be concentrated enough that far back from the boat to really pose a hazzard. I definitely can see the teak surfing being a major no no......thanks again

http://safetynet.smis.doi.gov/teakfinal.pdf

Check this out. A real eye opener on teak surfing.

Note how fast the CO falls off but up sucking the exhaust, laying on the platform you are at risk. I wish they had checked the distance up as well as out.

I am now a believer.

SD2

Hey Smokedog2

Holy Cow that is some bad stuff. Thanks for the link. I will be showing that to my son who has been busting my chops to let them try that. This should convince him it is not the thing to do. Once again thanks for the link.

Pretty intensive study. Wow. Didn't know that kind of study was done, let alone available for us to read.

The study doesn't specifically address this point, but, it seems possible that simply leaning out of the back of the boat could put your head in the zone of maximum CO concentration.