Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinions on 1st Gen XLV

Thinking of upgrading my '01 LS. Looking for a bigger boat in v drive. Trying to think of what boats to target. What are the board's thoughts on the first gen XLV. I want a boat mainly for wakeboarding and surfing and just a bigger boat for having other families on the water with us. Have an almost teenage son and younger daughter so they also like to tube and I don't want them scared by the wake. At slow speeds, can I get the wake clean back to 65 feet with no ballast? How does this boat surf?

I have a moomba so no need to sell me on the brand - I'm happy with my boat but just wondering what to upgrade to. Probably won't go new or else I would be asking about the Mojo!

Any thoughts? I'm betting someone here has owned or been in or boarded or surfed behind one of these and now has a different boat and can comment?

I've tried searches but can't find much. I seem to recall some discussion that the wake was hard to get clean except at high speeds. I see this from the archive for the 2008 model, which seems to indicate maybe there were some issues with the 2004-07 models:

The XLV has been updated from the hull up, with significant tweaking of its design to increase the size of the wake it throws while cleaning up the wake lip. One pull behind the XLV will make certain you will never underestimate its wake shaping capability.

I'm trying to decide whether to go look at two of these that I've found for sale or hold out for something else.

I can't help ya much other than saying that I'm pretty sure an 08+ will be a huge difference in your 01 LS. The wake on the xlv will take some gettin used to but once you get her dialed in I don't think you can go wrong. Take a lake test in an 09+ LSV also, little smaller but the general consensus here is its the best bang for the buck that's a great cross over for all water sports

Sent from my home phone..
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

thanks for the response. I'm thinking about an 06 but I'd hate to get it to only find out the wake is washy unless I'm at speeds my kids are uncomfortable with. Also, my primary purpose in getting it is to surf and just have more room in the boat. Honestly, the wake on my 01 LS is just fine for us wakeboarding at 21ish mph! We aren't pros and I can easily go w2w and don't have any intention of advanced tricks! So I'm most concerned about impressions with the boat, how clean the wake is at say 20 mph with no ballast and how it surfs with stock or gravity ballast.

Your gonna need a ton of weight for a good surf wave but the wakeboard wake should be acceptable with lil to no ballast for you and the families level. Have you considered an LSV, won't need near the weight to get a nice surf wave but of course you lose a little of the interior room your looking for

Sent from my home phone..
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by jpetty3023 View Post
    won't need near the weight to get a nice surf wave
    Either way its just going to be a sack in the rear locker.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

I love my new 12 xlv. Don't have much to compare wakes with yet as I have only been out once. So far. My girls ran at 15 mph and washed out but was choppy. I was able to surf with about 400 in the locker and center. I never adjusted the timers for the 750 and 1180 in the center, thought I could hit the fill button twice o get about 8 minutes but no go, CPU is too smart.

Sorry you said first gen xlv.... Can't really say but I love our '12

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....highlight=ride
    Last edited by jmvotto; 06-20-2012 at 10:33 PM.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Thanks for all the responses. I'm interested in the idea that you would need less ballast weight in an LSV to get a good surf wake than you would need in an XLV. The XLV is a lot bigger boat and it weighs a lot more. So, I would think the opposite would be true. Is it just because of the shape of the hull?

I'm looking for a used v drive to move up and getting very confused! I get on wakeworld and hear about how the Tiges and Centurions are the best, and those guys are even talking about putting thousands of pounds of ballast in them. I can get ropeless (barely and another boat wake will destroy it) in my 01 Outback LS with two 400 pound bags in an L shape around the motor box and with just my wife driving. Maybe I'm overthinking it . .

I have a 10 XLV and it takes a ton (2800 lbs) of weight to get the wave how I like it. The boat is so big and stable that it takes a lot to lean it over.

I don't think it has to do with the total weight if the boat at all. More about the resistance to leaning over on it's side for surfing due to the stability.

I really enjoy the surf wave on my boat and it takes me about 15 minutes (Max) to load the ballast up.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

I have a 2005 XLV, and a buddy (who's on here but doesn't post much) with I believe a 2007 or 2008 XLV GG. He loves to surf. I can confirm that it's hard to get a clean wake below 20 MPH. It starts to clean up about 18-19 and then gets good 20+. If your crew and gear don't weigh much, you might luck out and get it clean at slightly lower speeds, but don't bet a boat purchase on it. I am adding a bow sac because the boat really needs about 300 lbs in the bow to clean it up (at any speed) when you fill the rest of the ballast. If I don't have enough spare crew to sit in the bow, I have to carefully set less rear ballast to keep the balance correct at 20-21 MPH. At 22+ MPH, things get much better and we actually turn up the trim about 1/4 to shape the wake, and the ballast balance is less of an issue. Basically, the hull is made for intermediate-to-expert riding. I take lots of beginners at low speed, but carefully set the rope length (typically 70') to let them slip around the biggest washy crests.

Similarly, surfing is going to require more ballast, not less, than smaller boats. By buddy who surfs with his XLV runs it with 3000 lbs or so, and has the throttle flat out to barely maintain speed. He got the 325 HP engine and envies my 340. He probably wouldn't envy it so much if he saw how fast the gas gauge plummets when using that last little bit of power. Let's see... an 1100 in the rear locker, 1180 center full, my donated original 250's, plus a 400 on top. Yes, that's just over 3000 lbs. I'm upgrading right now, and I plan to get a single 1000 seat-top bag to do the work of his three. I don't plan to surf much, but I'll be ready. I also got a Fresh Air Exhaust. I am not a fan of breathing carbon monoxide.
    2005 XLV, upgraded ballast, Comptech swivel wakeboard and hydrofoil racks, Monster cargo bimini