Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy What am I doing wrong?

I've been slalom skiing for about 53 years - many trick and "odd" skies too. A few years ago I tried to wakeboard behind a friend's boat. Got up easily on the first try but when I fell I wasn't able to get up again in any of numerous tries.

A few weeks ago, with a board recommended for me by a very knowledgable wakeboarder, I tried getting up again. Neither me or the driver knew about wakeboarding but I told her to do a somewhat slow rev-up and if I got up to pull me at 17mph. I couldn't get up. The board was "submarining" and eventually I just couldn't hold on any more. Tried it a number of times with no success. I think I pulled a stomach muscle pretty bad.

The following week, I went to a wakeboard cable park. Used a board at the park - not mine. Wakeboarded about an hour and never once had any difficulty getting up. When I first started getting up I would start with the board more or less perpendicular to the cable and level in the water. After a bit I learned that it was even easier to get up if I would angle the board so that my forward foot was pointed a little up and toward the "boat" compared to my back foot. I did notice that the angle of the line to the cable was a higher angle than the 75' line attached to the tower in my Outback. I got up probably 25 times with no problem or difficulty.

OK. Last week I tried again behind my boat. I shortened my line by 15' hoping a 60' line would give me a better upward angle on the line. I tried angling the board so that my forward foot was pointed a little up and toward the boat compared to my back foot like I did at the cable park but it seemed that the board was more boyant than the one at the park (my board was selected due to my weight). Again, the board would simply submarine until I just couldn't hold on any longer. I didn't seem to be getting any "lift" at all.

What the heck am I doing wrong? PLEASE HELP.
    Richard (LakePerson1952)
    2010 Moomba Outback - Loving it!

Something in your technique is changing. Usually once youve done it once there are no more problems. I've had people fight me/boat and to the point of exhuastion,yet with a simple twist ,turn etc coming out of the water on a wakeboard is one of the easiest things going.

I talk from experience on this as well as my first time i tryed to the point of pulling a groin muscle. Very next day i said i would try again and without realizing what i did or didn't do different i have never had a problem since.

I've been waterskiing for 42 years and i pride myself on the fact i've been ,lucky or proficient at first attempts getting out of the water or starting out,usually doing it FIRST try. Deep water start,dragging,double booting,dropping,beach start etc ALL with great results FIRST try...... Till i tryed a wakeboard . Try getting someone watch for what you are doing wrong. Quit Fighting the boat and learn to relax, sit back on the board and let it pull you up with tip up,not parralel ... Pushing against the boat. Likely its a Very simple change needed only.
    07 Outback DD

I dunno. I have skied, mostly slalom, since I was a little spud. When I tired wakeboarding I got up first try, no worries. I have never had any issues getting up on the wakeboard. Occassionally when I try my wakeskis the wife tries to drown me or snap me in half.

What helped my stepson get up on the wakeboard, which was kicking his azz, was to lean back, board parallel with boat transom, rope between feet (like waterskiing), kness bent, elbows on knees. As the boat starts off and picks up a little speed let the tension rock you forward a little bit elbows still on knees then when there is enough pressure built just stand up, move rope to dominant hip and ride out the flats.

I watched and coached him and tired to get him up for months then a "real" wakeboarder gave him the suggestion as above and within 5 tries he got up. Didn't stay up very long back then but he has zero issues getting up now and yet staying up for any length of time is still an issue LOL
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

Arms wrapped around your knees, heels to you butt, and top side of the board above the water level.

Stay in that position until you are all the way up and then stand and swing the board in line with the boat.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Quote Originally Posted by Boonejeepin View Post
    Arms wrapped around your knees, heels to you butt, and top side of the board above the water level.

Stay in that position until you are all the way up and then stand and swing the board in line with the boat.
    Just to be clear, your saying elbow on the OUTSIDE of my knees and squating as much as possible? I was doing it elbows inside the knees and maybe a half squat both at the cable park and behind my boat. I was able to get up in the cable park but it seemed like the angle of the pull was lifting me more.

Thanks for the tips so far - additional tips will be appreciated.
    Richard (LakePerson1952)
    2010 Moomba Outback - Loving it!

Elbows on outside of knees like you are holding your knees together.

This video helped me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW1Gh...e_gdata_player
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Where are the binding/boots located on this board. If they are set for a neutral or goofy stance, you will encounter the submarine sensation. For beginners, I recommend that the bindings be place to the rear. It will enhance stability when learning to ride. Once comfortable, you can move the bindings more centered and start with riding fakey.

Since getting up is a technique that is unique to each rider, you probably already have it since you have gotten up. I teach beginners a specific way. After they get up a few times, they are doing it the way it "feels" and us usually different than the way I taught.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Similar to what boone said, sit in the water like you are taking a dump on a toilet... Stay in that position til you break surface. The frontside of your board needs to be have a little lift so you pop out of the water. If its to high you will be pushing to much water and killing your arms. I can pop out of the water pretty effortlessly.

Check out this vid around 3:30 mark. He risess out of the water with ease

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y83cMInxmVw
    Last edited by lsvboombox; 06-20-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Sometimes "pushing down with your toes" will help. If the board is at a 90 degree angle with the boat you will push water. If you can get it to 45, even if the whole board is under water it will lift or rise up to the surface as you get up. If it doesn't get better quickly have someone shoot video of you at the cable park and behind the boat. It will all make perfect sense.

Another thing you can do is practice starts with a surf board at a much slower pace. You have to do things right without bindings and it's much easier. Then try getting up with the board using the surf rope or at least close to surf distance from the boat.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LakePerson1952 View Post
    Just to be clear, your saying elbow on the OUTSIDE of my knees and squating as much as possible? I was doing it elbows inside the knees and maybe a half squat both at the cable park and behind my boat. I was able to get up in the cable park but it seemed like the angle of the pull was lifting me more.

Thanks for the tips so far - additional tips will be appreciated.

Lol....

My brother in-law was doing this very same thing last weekend. He tries to switch back and from skiing to wakeboarding and forgets the basics, elbows outside knees and squat with butt near the board, weight on heels. Let the boat do everything, stay in that position until you're ready to stand up and turn...
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead