Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sony HU help needed!

2012 Outback V, with only about 12 hours on it. Just have the factory stereo setup for now, Sony cdx m60ui HU and 4 in-boat kicker speakers. No Amp. While on the water yesterday HU started acting up, was shutting itself off and restarting in the middle of playing a song. Was using the USB input with an Ipod at the time, however later discovered it didn't matter the source of the input. Did this numerous times, could turn it off and back on and would go back to playing, only to shut down again about every 5 minutes or so. After getting home, while trying to pinpoint the issue, it started doing it much sooner, every 15-30 seconds or so.

HU has never gotten wet, all connections seem to be snug, and it happened whether using Ipod or radio tuner. Ground wire seems tight.

Any suggestions of things to check prior to returning to dealer for them to deal with? Thanks for your help!
    Jeff

2012 Outback V

Dusty had the same problem. His solution was to stop playing Justin Bieber songs. Your radio will love you again and work perfectly.

Hey, if the guy wants to play Justin Bieber, or boy bands for that matter, he shouldn't be ridiculed. I say live and let live.

Oh, David.

When you were young and your heart was an open book you used to say live and let live. (you know you did, you know you did, you know you did) But, if this ever changin' world in which we live in makes you give in and cry, say live and let die. Live and let die . . .

I prefer the GnR version to McCartney, but either will suffice when associating Bieber's music with "let die."

Okay, time to get serious if we absolutely must.

Jeff,
    There are a few potential causes for your problem:
    * A problematic remote control. So if you have them, unplug them. Or, the situation may correct itself once the remote dries out. Btw, no pressure washing of the transom area if you have a transom remote control.
    * A bad speaker or a shorted wire resulting a thermal issue and a protective mode. So unplug each of four speakers, one at a time, from the rear of the source unit. But leave bread crumbs before you disconnect anything.
    If you had six speakers connected to a four-channel source unit, I would have other concerns.
    * Incorrect wiring whether it is showing up as low voltage or something mis-wired, like a ground connected to an illumination circuit for example. If checking voltage, the only relevant measurement is at the rear molex connector of the source unit rather than at the battery and while under load.
    * A defective source unit. A simple bench check or substitute unit in the boat should confirm this. Sure would be nice to avoid the trip back to the dealer if unnecessary though. Be sure to verify the problem still exists when delivering the boat to the dealer before they take any action. You have got to hate an intermittent problem that doesn't reveal itself for the dealer. Anything that is 100 percent broken is easy to diagnose and remedy. Only the intermittent problems are a challenge.
    That is the short list.

David
    Earmark Marine

Drew,
    Just as Ray Liotta said to Joe Pesci in Goodfellas, ".... you're a funny guy!"

"Funny how? How am I funny? Like I'm a clown? I amuse you?"

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    "Funny how? How am I funny? Like I'm a clown? I amuse you?"
    Well for starters yeah

Sent from my home phone..
    Jason

Go Hard or Go Home.......it's MOOMBA time!!

2009 Moomba Mobius LSV

WOW Drew. I didn't mean anything by it. It was just some harmless teasing.

Now go home and get your shinebox.