Default Distribution Block Purchase

I'm getting ready to get started on an audio upgrade, adding Exile tower speakers, and I've been looking at distribution blocks. I see that a lot of people like the Tsunami distribution block with the built in voltage meter. Everyone still happy with it? Looks like a clean solutions since it is fused, does positive and ground and has the voltage meter built in.

I also noticed that a lot of people seem to be getting there's from Sonic Electronix. When I searched for the part initially though I got a hit for The Wires Zone, which is a bit cheaper than Sonic Electronix. Anybody have experience with The Wires Zone?

Ron
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron

Ron,
    Since a) the distribution block is usually mounted as close to the amplifiers as possible, b) the exposed cable extensions are extremely short, c) the collective cable length is very short with both the batteries and amplifiers in the same compartment, and d) you must have fusing within a few inches of the supply, why are you running redundant fusing with additional contact points and resistance?

David
    Earmark Marine

I purchased my distribution block and wiring from darvex.com fast shipping and cheap prices on quality stinger wire, and distribution blocks.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

I agree with David in that you always need to have circuit protection on the main B+ trunk line right off the battery. As he pointed out, in many cases, a fused distro block next to the amps can be redundant and are not always needed. So just going with a pair of non-fused blocks, sometimes called Ground Blocks, is all that needed.

For those installs where we want to add a little bling or flare, we may use that fused block w/meter. Or, for a less expensive option, there are a handful of simple 12V digital voltmeters out there. Flush-mount one to your amp board or at the helm. If your helm has an analog volt meter, you can use it to monitor both battery banks by using a SPDT switch.

Ron - That block has been been on backorder from just about every source I know. We sell it and its backordered with us as well. Suggest you just use a standard block and run a remote voltage gauge on the dash or pick up one of the other LED blocks. Make sure its mounted close to the batteries. This is usually the case in most Moomba installs due to the close proximity of the amplifiers to batteries.

Brian
    Exile Audio

Good enough Brian. I did not look at availability.
    2011 Mobius LSV

Ron