Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Josh,
    Thanks, I am ready to see it in the water! Especially with all these 105+ degree days we've been having lately.

I got to stick her in the water yesterday, no leaks and she didn't sink but man did it run like complete CRAP. Idle was fine for a bit until it warmed up and then it started surging and would just cut off sometimes. It would run alright up until full throttle where it would die off and then start to backfire. My dad and I both agreed it was a carburetor problem so I took it off the boat yesterday and drain the fuel out of the vents and this is what came out...

GREEN fuel, water, and crap! I knew the carb looked bad but didn't think it would affect much since it ran fine on the hose. I'm thinking it sat for quite a while with Ethanol gas and really gummed it up. I packed it up and mailed it off today to Carb Junkys in Atlanta for a complete rebuild. I also went ahead and ordered a new distributor cap and rotor, plug wires, and NGK plugs.
    -Eric
    1998 Outback

Also, maybe someone with experience in repacking the prop shaft can answer this. I repacked mine with GFO gore tex packing and followed the guide located here https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....intenance-Item

After I turned it like here with pliers to pack the packing, I loosened it up and tightened the nut hand tight and then put the jam nut up against that. I know the packing says "dripless" but mine doesn't drip at all! I figured it should drip a little for cooling. Should I loosen the nut up some for it to drip? I only ran it for 15 mins or so total and it says not to adjust the nut until after 2 hours of run time but I don't want to burn the packing/shaft up.
    -Eric
    1998 Outback

I have done a few repackings and I too have had ones that don't leak. I never thought about it being a bad thing. I don't like the thought of a leaking anything on a boat. Give it a little time, if it doesn't leak you are fine. If it drips a few drops per minute, that is OK.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

I guess I'll just leave it be then and adjust it later if it needs it. Cheers!
    -Eric
    1998 Outback

cant wait to see her done and in the water
    2004 Outback Blue/white w/5.7 indmar 350, Direct Drive
    Rockford fasgate cabins
    Rockford fasgate 500w amp (cabin) and a kenwood HU (kmr700u)
    Exile XM7's
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile ZLD
    Polk 10in sub (2)
    Polk P330 amp (subs)

Quote Originally Posted by 98Roo View Post
    Josh,
    Thanks, I am ready to see it in the water! Especially with all these 105+ degree days we've been having lately.

I got to stick her in the water yesterday, no leaks and she didn't sink but man did it run like complete CRAP. Idle was fine for a bit until it warmed up and then it started surging and would just cut off sometimes. It would run alright up until full throttle where it would die off and then start to backfire. My dad and I both agreed it was a carburetor problem so I took it off the boat yesterday and drain the fuel out of the vents and this is what came out...

GREEN fuel, water, and crap! I knew the carb looked bad but didn't think it would affect much since it ran fine on the hose. I'm thinking it sat for quite a while with Ethanol gas and really gummed it up. I packed it up and mailed it off today to Carb Junkys in Atlanta for a complete rebuild. I also went ahead and ordered a new distributor cap and rotor, plug wires, and NGK plugs.
    Wow, that's nasty. Hopefully the rebuilt carb fixes it!
    2017 Moomba Craz

I repacked with graphite impregnated cord back in 2005 and there hasn't been any dripping. Good choice to stay away from wax.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Just a small update. I the entire boat is buffed and polished and it looks awesome. Not perfect but it can't be perfect without some gel coat work. I need to pull it out from under the carport and take some pics.
    I also decided to go ahead and do a tune up to match the rebuilt carb...which I'm still waiting to get back. The Autolite's I took out weren't in bad shape but they were gapped to .055" which is too big for the carb motor. The factory coil has been replaced at some point with an Accel unit, so that might be why the huge gap didn't seem to affect much. The NGK's I used all came pre-gapped to about .034" so I'll probably just leave them there unless I notice a miss.
    You can also see the fuel pressure safety switch on the top left. I guess the stock sensor failed at some point so someone just jumped the wires together. From what I can gather, this switch turns the fuel pump off in the event of low oil pressure.
    Last edited by 98Roo; 07-10-2012 at 10:58 PM.
    -Eric
    1998 Outback

You best be working thru the night so that boat will be running this weekend on Sinclair! I want to see it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    You best be working thru the night so that boat will be running this weekend on Sinclair! I want to see it in person.
    I hope to have it on the water this weekend if I get the carb back this week. They claimed a 7-10 day turnaround so I am hoping I get it tomorrow!

I was at the lake this past weekend but we were in my uncle's boat. A '98 black/tan Mastercraft Maristar with a black Samson tower/bimini. You might have seen it out there before.
    -Eric
    1998 Outback