Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Default '98 Outback Transom repair/ restoration

Quote Originally Posted by 98Roo View Post

Is that captain chair a swivel?? Wanna share your design for that? I've been looking for a way to get mine to be able to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1998 Outback

Just sandwiched a $10 seat swivel from Academy Sports between the slider and seat. Took a little ingenuity but overall wasn't too bad. It's not the most stable, the chair can rock around on it pretty easily and I'm not a fan of not being able to lock it. My plan is to grab a new swivel/slide pedestal from GLS eventually.
    -Eric
    1998 Outback

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    Only takes a few minutes to unbolt and take the fenders off.
    Not possible with my trailer. Fenders and guide posts are a welded part of the trailer.
    -Eric
    1998 Outback

Well, that sucks. I got nothin I guess. Mine all comes apart.
    Jack Beams
    '05 Outback DD
    325HP EFI Indmar

So I noticed a had a couple soft spots on the swim platform and also noticed it would drip water out of a few places thru the fiberglass/paint for a few days on the trailer. Would run out even more if I took it off and set it upright and pushed on a few places. After probing with a small screwdriver I figured out it was soaked on the inside....So I started tearing into it thinking I could just replace the rot with new wood, but ended up tearing it all out. It was wet in places almost all the way to the middle of the platform.

In the process I found it was balsa cored which lead me to realize what the FLOOR OF THE BOAT is made out of. BALSA sandwiched in fiberglass.. So much for "wood free." I guess if you don't consider balsa to be wood then yes.
    It was easy to get the wet stuff out but the stuff that was completely dry was pretty tough to get up. Just used a Dremel to cut small squares and chiseled them out.

Last edited by 98Roo; 06-10-2014 at 10:24 PM.
    -Eric
    1998 Outback

Here it is completely cleaned of all old wood, sanded and ready for new fiberglass and wood, And then putting everything back together. I made my own "peanut butter" by cutting up chop strand mat to tiny pieces with scissors and mixing it in with the resin. Worked great despite not using any filler or thickener like cabosil. I used it to bond the wood to the platform and then used it around the edges to fill the gap, along with some left over tiger hair that came with my wakeboard tower.

Sticking it down

-Eric
    1998 Outback

I also reused the stock plastic blocks where the brackets screwed in. Just used the peanut butter to stick them and then went over with mat and cloth. Also when I reinstalled the brackets, I squirted marine epoxy into the screw holes and when around each one before sticking the brackets on and tightening to make sure no water got inside. This is how the stock platform rotted. The screws holes went thru the plastic into the wood. There was no sealant under the brackets or screws so water eventually made its way past the screws and into the balsa.

One downside to using plywood instead of balsa is how heavy this thing is now. Much heavier than before but hopefully it will last.
    The last thing I need to do is paint the underside. Guess I'll see how well my leftover epoxy paint sticks to poly resin after sanding.

-Eric
    1998 Outback

Hey man great job on the rebuild. I have a 1998 Mobius and I have a question what did you use to mount the driver seat? My original fiberglass mount broke on me and I don't know where to get a new one.
    2005 Moomba XLV
    5.7L Indmar Fuel Injected
    2 Wetsound Rev 10's, JL Audio speakers and 2 JL Audio M6450 amps, and Wetsound AS-10
    2k Fly High Fat Sac
    1 Homemade SucGate!

Eric,

Great pics and story. I was wondering if you could provide me a rough idea of how much it cost to reupholster the interior? Just a ballpark figure would be great. I need to do the same thing and have the same year and color boat you do. I'm also looking at replacing some of the gauges and maybe the gauge panel as well. I'm not all the way through your thread yet, but wondered if you had any advice on that or any of the electrical.

Thanks.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by kelauben View Post
    Eric,

Great pics and story. I was wondering if you could provide me a rough idea of how much it cost to reupholster the interior? Just a ballpark figure would be great. I need to do the same thing and have the same year and color boat you do. I'm also looking at replacing some of the gauges and maybe the gauge panel as well. I'm not all the way through your thread yet, but wondered if you had any advice on that or any of the electrical.

Thanks.

Karl
    I just had mine done. It was 2400.00.

I had removed most of the interior, though I am not sure that made it any cheaper. You just have to trailer it around to get bids. Nobody will give you a price sight unseen.
    2008 Moomba Outback DD resurrection