Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

I was speaking earlier on the floor having a soft spot. I was a little confused as to why since this boat is supposed to have NO wood. Either the trailer had a flat tire where it sat or it was on a hill but I could tell water had sat on the passenger side right behind the observers seat for a while since a little green moss was on the bottom of the red speaker panel and the floor was soft. After a few exploratory holes I just cut the whole soft spot out with intentions to repair it.

The floor doesn't really look like wood but I have no idea what it is. It looks like some kind of composite material sandwiched between fiberglass. Whatever it was, it rotted in between the fiberglass.

It is some type of fiber board with a lot resin in it. Hard to imagine it rotting. Warping would be a good possibility.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Wow! What a project! Really going to be fun to watch how it progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    It is some type of fiber board with a lot resin in it. Hard to imagine it rotting. Warping would be a good possibility.
    It was absolutely warped in odd places. There was also some kind of filler like bondo over the deck surface that was about 1/4" thick in places that was cracked and was easy to pry up with a screw driver. We also found the holes in the deck for foam filling covered in this. My guess is it was cracked so badly from being in the sun that water seeped into this "fiber board." Whatever it is, it was completely saturated and soaking wet, so much that I could dig it out with my finger. Also all the foam under the deck was saturated.

Did you happen to see this thread:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....anding-Results

I thought the hard work & chrome decals made Brandon's boat look fantastic! I set up a group buy for the decals at Atlanta Marine, if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Did you happen to see this thread:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....anding-Results

I thought the hard work & chrome decals made Brandon's boat look fantastic! I set up a group buy for the decals at Atlanta Marine, if you're interested.
    Yes! I would definitely love to get new decals since I will be removing all the old ones for wet sanding. Not sure yet if I'd want the chrome or just the plain white. I'm kind of digging the new style white decals right now.

Either would look great against that red.

Alright, I finally uploaded some new pics. Viewer discretion is advised for these since they get pretty hairy.

I ended up taking this boat to a complete repair shop over in Alabama. A guy that was a friend of my dads recommended him so hopefully it'll turn out alright. He's been taking a little longer than originally quoted but has been sending me some pictures. Hopefully I'll be picking the boat up next weekend.

Sayonara old floor...

Holy Chit, those stringers are very small for a total composite build. I know that wooden stringers were made just like that, but other boat makers have substantially larger stringers when made in composite.

This is quite an extensive project. Go Chrome on the decals, it will really pop on the red and give a modern look to the boat.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier