Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dual battery setup question?

One of my batteries is Toast. 1 year old. Obviously didn't like the move from Portland to new York to Mississippi. ( was dead when it got to ny I think).
    Anyway, looking to replace.
    It's a group 24. Nobody around has a normal cranking marine grp 24 wih equal cca as what's in there.

Ay issue with having a slightly less cca battery? Not going with gel cells, but any other options or suggestions?

I really like the interstates I have run the past. The boat came with Deka batts. Nearest Deka dealer is in little rock. Not worth the trouble.
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

My boat came with two deep cycle interstate group 24 marine batteries from the factory.
    -2012 Supra Launch 21V
    -2008 Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by bzubke1 View Post
    My boat came with two deep cycle interstate group 24 marine batteries from the factory.
    From the dealer, boats don't have batteries in them from the factory at least that is what I was told. I think it's a dealer brand preference

Brad I went with any brand that fit the specs, I had some interstate and some exide in the obv, replaced one last year after four years. Most batteries are made by a few companies anymore . I may have gotten mine at SAMs club or Walmart.

SAMs does carry the optima blue tops , kinda spendy but here they are the best.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Thanks
    How you are correct. They are dealer install.
    WalMart Maxx are close. I've just had good luck with interstates high cca batt.
    I am probably going to Hattiesburg today so I'll look there.
    Didn't know if mixing starting and deep cycle made a diff.

Seems like deep cycle would be better suited for stereo.
    Brad

2004 Outback sold

Mine were split as well. I think if you bank them together they need to be the same type.
    Not sure what the xlv has in them yet as I have yet to pull the cases. I will soon cuz I would like to relocate one to create more space.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Have you attempted to charge and then test the battery? You wouldn't abandon your car on the side of the road because it ran out of gas, you would refill it and keep going, right! A discharged battery is not necessarily a bad battery. Have it tested with a conductance tester like the Midtronics, rather then the old style "toaster-tester" with the heater grid. These offer a far more accurate test of the battery's condition.

If you do need to replace, stick with a quality brand-name Group-24 marine starting battery, and you should be fine. I would not sweat a slight difference in CCA's.

Thanks
    I have kept them on Trickle all winter.
    #2 when switched on my Perko will not Power ANYTHING. so, i'm assuming it is DED dead

good suggestion on testing though as i need to make certain it is the battery not the switcher

I have run several weekends with perko on 1and2

and get nothing out of the #2. also notice that when running, the voltage stays around 12, not the traditional upper 13 while charging, so i am assuming that the dead battery is pulling off

I'll pull and take to get tested
    Brad

2004 Outback sold

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    You wouldn't abandon your car on the side of the road because it ran out of gas, you would refill it and keep going, right!
    Bad question to ask bwebb. He'd leave it and just buy something new. You just can't hide the kind o' coin that boy has.

So, there you go Brad. I'll even help you out here and cut you a check (don't cash it for a few weeks tho) for a couple thousand and you can just get ya some new batteries that come with the new boat.

sure thing Butt
    i've been trying to hide the coins.. most of them are on a black boatmate trailer...
    or go into the 50 gal tank in one particular Supra..
    Brad

2004 Outback sold

Quote Originally Posted by 04OUTBACK View Post
    Thanks
    I have kept them on Trickle all winter.
    #2 when switched on my Perko will not Power ANYTHING. so, i'm assuming it is DED dead

good suggestion on testing though as i need to make certain it is the battery not the switcher

I have run several weekends with perko on 1and2

and get nothing out of the #2. also notice that when running, the voltage stays around 12, not the traditional upper 13 while charging, so i am assuming that the dead battery is pulling off

I'll pull and take to get tested
    After getting the battery tested, then recharged or replaced depending on the outcome of the test, I would get a DVOM on them with the engine running just to be sure the alternator is charging correctly and the switch is operating correctly and everything is connected properly. is there a chance that the a ground is left off that connects batt #2 to batt #1? This would prevent it from recharging off the alternator, and possibly your trickle charger depending on how you have things configured.