Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Box Anchor

Quote Originally Posted by Mrd8ker View Post
    Waking this thread back up...

Guys that are using the box anchor. What's under the water that you are dropping your anchor into? Is it sand? Is it river rock? sand?

The box anchor looks like it is the way to go but I am wondering if dropping it into underwater rocks/boulders would be a recipe for a lost anchor.

On my old boat (16', maybe 2500 lbs) i used the old four tooth unfolding anchor and it always held fine. Now with the bigger boat (Mondo) I am not sure which direction to go. We boat on the Willamette river (underwater mud, sand, rocks, wood) and on a reservoir (underwater rock) and i want and anchor that will hold in all applications and not be a complete pain to release when it is time.

Do I need two different anchors?
    I have used mine on the Columbia, on the lower Willamette by waterfront park, and on Lacamas lake. sometimes it can be a bitch to get up, but I love the box anchor.

On the Willamette, we were anchored for the blues fest on 4th of july. we had to move 3 times because of them wanting us in tighter for the fireworks bargest to get through. So on the last time we tossed the anchor over and had a great night. When it came time to pull the anchor up, it literally felt like we were lifting a couple hundred pounds. it took two of us working to get that anchor up. When it finally got to the surface I found out that we were lifting TWO 1.5 to 2" thick steel braided cables up from the bottom of the river!!! No idea what they were for or from, but I slid them off the anchor and we were free. Thankfully I was using retired climbing rope for anchor line instead of something wimpy. I was thankful I didn't lose my expensive anchor.

I lucked out, I got mine used off CL for $85. woot. Also got a shore spike used for cheap. it's nice when you've got one hand on the bow line and the other is all you have left to set your shore stake...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Agree with Trayson 100%

We started using a box anchor this year and its the cat's meow. it is literally a drop it and forget it. i don't have to drag it to set it. It just lands and digs in.

Pulling it out can be hard at times when its a soft bottom.

other wise Love this anchor.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

I went ahead and bought this anchor after I posted back in June(Overton's w/ free shipping). Started using it at Billy over the 4th. Even tied up two boats to it. It's a beast.

Now I just sit back, drink my beer, and watch others reset their anchors!

Another happy forum member!
    2014 Moomba Mondo - Exile Tower/Sub/ZLD/EXBT4/Amps (2x), Hertz Cabin - Evolution Cover - 650 IBS, 900s Rear, Center Hard Tank, Flow
    1969 Bayliner Tahiti - 120 HP Force Outboard - Gone but not forgotten

Default Box Anchor

Love my box anchor.

Word of advice, if using an anchor buddy also tie a real rope to the anchor as well. The rope should be about 5 ft shorter than full stretch distance of the anchor buddy, then attach a buoy to the clip end. I had a friend loose a box anchor and anchor buddy line a couple weeks ago. The anchor buddy/clip disappears fast when not attached to the boat and accidentally dropped into the water.

The rope is much easier to pull against when retrieving the anchor, and takes stress off the anchor buddy when close to full stretch.

I have heard many times that the anchor buddies can snap after a few months/years of use.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Seeing your picture, watch the clip you have on your anchor. I had a new box anchor, used it 3 times. 4th time in, the rope looped on the clip and pulled it off the anchor. I was left holding rope, no anchor, and had to shell out for a second box anchor last summer. I now have one of the chain link connectors with the screw up sleeve on the anchor instead of the clips.

Quote Originally Posted by jpetty3023 View Post
    sorry it took so long new guy but here ya go. after one weekend of use and i am sold. there was one time this weekend when i tried to pull it up and it dang near took me 15 minutes to get her pulled back in the boat. video says pull boat directly under the rope and pull straight up to release, it was pretty tough once and thought i wasnt going to get her pulled back in

Derek & Poppy
    2010 Mobius LSV Sandrock/Fossil
    Gravity III ballast, wake plate, Z5, LEDs from Oznium (cup holders, helm, transom)
    Exile SX65M Cabin Speakers w/ Exile XM 15.4
    Exile SXT9Q Tower Speakers w/ Exile XM 30.2
    Exile 12" sub w/ XM12.1
    Exile ZLD MKII

What is the total length of that folded up? (small size)

And anyone use a chain lead off it like a danforth/fluke style anchor or not required?
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post

And anyone use a chain lead off it like a danforth/fluke style anchor or not required?
    I don't use a chain with mine. I haven't measured my length but mine easily fits in one of the front playpen lockers with room to spare.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default Box Anchor

No need for a chain with the box anchor. It does not need the downward/flat pull of the chain to dig in.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

Ok cool. So how about dimensions folded up. Anyone?

My designated anchor storage in the nose has limited space. The fluke fits but is a PITA and the chain hits & dings the edges way too easy.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Ok cool. So how about dimensions folded up. Anyone?

My designated anchor storage in the nose has limited space. The fluke fits but is a PITA and the chain hits & dings the edges way too easy.
    it all depends what size anchor you buy. I have the larger one and its 6inches by 2 ft came with a bag like Jpetty picture. Mine was the Razzman's.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]