Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

MLA- I don't think I have a space for two 10s side by side. At least not one that I am willing to give up. I will end up with either the one Alpine 10 or spending maybe just a little more and getting an amp that will properly power the RF.

Sent from my bag phone using Tapatalk Dos
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

You are going to have to buy a sub amp either way, right? What would you use to push the Type R?

I didn't dig deep but at a quick glance it looks like the Alpines want 500 (each) watts and the Rockford wants 800 ... none of the amps have that kind of push.

But you are probably correct, going to be cheaper to power a single 10". I have a 12" Type R for whatever that is worth.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Well my initial thoughts were to use the Exile for just the 10, but would that be underpowered? I looks like the Exile amp is rated as follows
    Specifications:
    Max Power
    500W x 1 @ 4 ohm
    1000W x 1 @ 2 ohm

RMS Power
    250W x 1 @ 4 ohm
    500W x 1 @ 2 ohm

I guess my first step would be to understand the ohm handling capability of the Alpine. From what MLA was saying I will definitely need another amp if I plan to keep the RF12. You guys should see this speaker. It is massive.

Probably a dumb question, but how will I end up wiring the final 2 Polks to the Kicker amp since it is just a 4 channel? Can I run 4 off the amp and then two off the HU? Seems like the 4 would drown out the two. Not ideal. Or maybe run them in parallel? I think the Polks are 4 ohms so wouldn't that make them go into 2 ohm which they are not classified for?
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8
    Mods: Stereo, Stainless Cup Holders and Thru Hulls, Chrome Steering Wheel, EZ Nets, Moomba Etched Cleats

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, bc your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    does not sound like your a big bass head, so the 10 fits well in that hull design. the 12 gets tight plus you will need another amp. sel the RF , the mtx and the othe apline sub and get a tower controller or gas money....
    JV, I could use the gas money. Gas is killing us this year!
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8

-John Wooden

the exile amp names and actual ratings can be misleading .. Yes, it would be way underpowered.

The cockpit speakers would be wired in parallel, 2 speakers on a channel. Each bow speaker would have its own channel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    Well my initial thoughts were to use the Exile for just the 10, but would that be underpowered? I looks like the Exile amp is rated as follows
    Specifications:
    Max Power
    500W x 1 @ 4 ohm
    1000W x 1 @ 2 ohm

RMS Power
    250W x 1 @ 4 ohm
    500W x 1 @ 2 ohm

I guess my first step would be to understand the ohm handling capability of the Alpine. From what MLA was saying I will definitely need another amp if I plan to keep the RF12. You guys should see this speaker. It is massive.

Probably a dumb question, but how will I end up wiring the final 2 Polks to the Kicker amp since it is just a 4 channel? Can I run 4 off the amp and then two off the HU? Seems like the 4 would drown out the two. Not ideal. Or maybe run them in parallel? I think the Polks are 4 ohms so wouldn't that make them go into 2 ohm which they are not classified for?
    Speakers dont Ohms from they are the Ohms (impedance) load that the amp "sees". The speakers receive wattage from the amp. This wattage is based on the speaker's internal impedance, or Ohms. So, a single 4 ohm speaker wired to the amp chnl will receive the watts RMS output of that amp at that 4 ohm load. Two 4 ohm speakers wired parallel (+ to +/- to -) on an amp chnl equals 2 ohm. So the amp total RMS output will be its rated wattage at 2 ohm. The two speakers, if identical, will thus divide this output.

Are the Alpine 10's dual or single voice coils? If single, what impedance is it? If dual, whats the impedance of each coil? This info will be on a sticker on the magnet. It is needed in order to match the sub(s) to the amp that will best match the recommended power. This is important to 1) get the best performance out of the gear and 2) not damage any gear.

You will need a new for either the R/F 12 or if you intend to drive both Alpine 10's. IF the alpines are dual 4 ohm, then the Exile will be perfect to power one, but not both. If the Alpines are single 4 ohm, the Exile will be a little light on the power IMO. So, more info is needed.

MLA-Looks like I have the dual voice coil 10s at 4 Ohms.

For the Polks in cabin..... If they are 4 Ohm speakers, then the amp will see them at 4 ohms which for the Kicker is fine. If I run the 2 of the cockpit speakers in parallel then my amp would see a 2 Ohm load. Is this correct? So how would the wattage be split up between the six?

Kicker amp specs.
    4 ohms: 120 watts x 4 chan. | 2 ohms: 160 watts x 4 chan. | Bridged, 4 ohms: 320 watts x 2 chan.
    -Mark
    2005 LSV
    Tow w/:
    Volkswagen Touareg V8

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by WaterBullDawg1980 View Post
    MLA-Looks like I have the dual voice coil 10s at 4 Ohms.

For the Polks in cabin..... If they are 4 Ohm speakers, then the amp will see them at 4 ohms which for the Kicker is fine. If I run the 2 of the cockpit speakers in parallel then my amp would see a 2 Ohm load. Is this correct? So how would the wattage be split up between the six?

Kicker amp specs.
    4 ohms: 120 watts x 4 chan. | 2 ohms: 160 watts x 4 chan. | Bridged, 4 ohms: 320 watts x 2 chan.
    Thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure. If you wire a single Type-R in parallel, you will net a 2 ohm load. This will get you 500W rms from the exile. This should be spot on for the Alpine. With this sub radiating directly out into the main area with 500W will be a very respectable setup. If you wanted to down the road, add another 500W amp (or swap the 500W exile for a 1000W @ 1 or 4 ohm) and add the 2nd Alpine. Although it would be in a locker, it will be a boat shaker and the primary sub will contribute the most musically.

The bow pair will each be on their own chnl (1 and 2), so each will receive the 120W @ 4 ohm. The port side main cabin pair will be wired in parallel on chnl 3 and will divide the 160W @ 2 ohm power, so each speaker receives 80W. Same for the starboard main cabin pair wired on chnl 4. Once both halves of the amp are setup correctly, you can then reduce the gain on the bow pair to balance them with the main cabin if needed.
    Last edited by MLA; 06-06-2012 at 06:42 PM.

I always enjoy threads like this.... fun to see whats up in the real world.

here's what I'd do:

Tower - seems like a slam dunk. SXT's off the harpoon will jam.
    Cabin - seems like a slam dunk too. Polks off the kicker will rock.

Sub I think you got a couple of choices.

1) Do a sealed enclosure for the 2 10's and run them off the exile amp and mtx amp. 1 amp per sub. Is it ideal power? no not really but who cares, your amps are free. You could always come back later and properly power the 1ohm load with another amp. but thats on the spend money plan.

2) run 1 10 as MLA discussed off the exile 500.1. KG how is the model# confusing? (shakes head). 500W buddy. Full power at 2 ohms. 500W. Maybe I missed something there, but its pretty straight forward.

3) Run the RF 12" sub off the Exile 500W. The RF sub is 800W and 2ohm configured. The Exile amp is 500W@2ohm. seems like a pretty good fit. Underpowered? sure a bit. within the range? absolutely.

In my opinion #3 would be best. I'm always an advocate for putting a 12 in the boat.

cheers!

-Brian
    Exile Audio

Subs:
    1 Rockford Fosgate T1D412 (Guy at work gave it to me to settle a bet, have no idea what to do with it)
    2 Alpine Type-R 10s SWR-1042D
    Amps:
    Kicker ZX 650.4
    MTX Audio MXA400.2
    Exile Harpoon
    Exile Shift s500.1
    In cabin:
    6 Polk Audio db651s
    Tower:
    4 Exile SXT65Q’s

Do a sealed enclosure for the 2 10's and run them off the exile amp and mtx amp. 1 amp per sub. Is it ideal power? no not really but who cares, your amps are free
    The Alpines are 4 ohm DVC and unfortunitley, the MTX 4002 2 chnl will not be stable with a 2 ohm load bridged. This leaves you with either one coil per chnl or bridging an 8 ohm load for a 200W rms output. It doesnt make me warm and fuzzy to have a 200W sub sharing an enclosure with a 500W sub. Im not sure it would be worth the effort and expense of materials to build a dual sub box and wire in both amps. I also think tuning would be a bear. Nowing that the gains and frequency dials would not be the same, it would be tought to get these two sync'd up using two different amps, even if they both where receiving the same power. Just my $.02.