Thread: Ignition switch

Default Ignition switch

Had a great day out on lake until the very end. Our friends 2 year old decided to throw my last set of keys over the side and that is after pulling float of them. Question does anyone know the make of the ignition switch or a brand for a good replacement. My boat is a 2007 LSV.
    Don't need nothin but a good time!!!!

call Cynde at Atlanta Marine. I bet she has one in stock and can FedEx it to you. Haven't done it myself, but I've read that it's a fairly easy install.

I would guess that to be less than a beer install..

if they don't have one, any auto parts store will have a generic key switch that you can make work. as long as it's off/on/start, your golden..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

The key is fairly generic and your owner's manual packet should have the code for your ignition. I believe there are only a few different key patterns made. If you don't have any of that, the ignition replacement takes about 3-4 minutes.

Since your key is out, unscrew the bezel nut on the ignition, push ignition through the dash and it will hang under the dash. Release the wiring catch on the ignition wiring pack and remove the ignition unit. It will be a 6 pin unit, with only 3 pins in it. Push new ignition unit onto the wiring plug until it is seated. Push the ignition through the dash and screw on bezel nut. Start motor and have fun.

You can use a generic one from the auto store, but you will need to cut the wiring loom plug and attach the wires to the new switch. Also, I found it difficult to get one that will fit the factory hole and look neat. I ordered a new one from Atlanta marine.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Thank you for the replies guys I am going to give Atlanta marine a call today and get one ordered.
    Don't need nothin but a good time!!!!

Out of curiosity - how far from the launch were you?

I have 2 sets of spares wired up in hidden places on mine. Haven't lost one yet but just in case...!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I have 2 sets of spares wired up in hidden places on mine.
    Well, you got me beat. 2 sets?? I definitely have a spare one stashed. Keep one on the truck too. Don't like being stranded. They'd have to send a bus after us.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

When I was a kid I worked in a diesel truck shop. The owner had a big 28' cruiser that I always worked on for him - prepping for week long trips up on Puget Sound. While installing a new radio under the helm I noticed he had no less than 6 spare sets of keys wired up in misc places. Looking closer they were all identical. So of course I had to ask...

Story goes one of their previous outings a few years back he had the keys in one hand, a glass of wine in the other and was going to unlock some compartment while they were out on the water. Fumbled the glass of wine, dropped the keys trying to catch it. Plunk! No floatie. No spares either so they were adrift for several hours before a friend caught up to them and towed them in. His boat was not the kind you would want to attempt to hot wire and his wife apparently wasn't impressed and let him know in a very unpleasant way. Let's just say that never happened again!

And will never happen to me!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

sounds like I need to get some spares hiden as the one I have is insufficent
    Hey, Its Moomba time

Its all about the dash - enjoy the dash, as that is your time between the dates
    13 Mobius LSV-sold
    08 Mobius LSV-sold
    03 Mobius LSV-sold
    life is about finding the balance between being a responsible adult and staying young at heart