Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Prop - Rudder Clearance Help

So after a little ingenuity with a gear puller, c-clamp, heat gun and a couple beers I convinced my stock prop to come loose and installed the new Acme 1847. Trailer clearance looks fine with at least an inch or more to spare. I'm hoping that's enough...

The real question or thing that's bugging me now is that the clearance between the tip of the prop and the rudder when it is closest is only about 3/8" or so - I didn't measure with the stock prop but I can just tell that is a lot tighter. I know I'm looking at a totally different size and pitch here coming from the stock 13.7x17.5, but honestly it's got me a little nervous. Full rudder turn side to side does not hit or come any closer. Can someone take a look at theirs and tell me what kind of room they have between the rudder after upgrading to a 14x prop. How close is too close?

I'm sure there will be no movement or flex of any kind back there - uh, or would there be...

Other interesting/concerning thing I discovered is a bow in the rudder. Never noticed it before until today with the prop off. I've never felt it at all and the boat doesn't steer or pull to a side at all. Guess I'll leave it for now.

So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Berg, I can look for you when I get home. Our boats are pretty similar.Rick
    Rick
    2002 Moomba Mobius V

Thanks Rick - much appreciated.

Anyone else with a 14x upgraded prop - how close is it to your rudder?

Any prop experts - am I in the danger zone with mine? Haven't hit the water yet but its coming soon.

Berg here's mine with my SS 14x14.75 prop on. I have a ton of clearance so our setups might be completely different.

and one more for good measure.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Thanks Mark - Can I make another request? How about the distance from the strut face (that holds the driveshaft) to the face of the prop. How much driveshaft is there showing between the front edge of the prop and that strut? I guess it should be no longer than the width of the shaft is, so ~ 1-1/8". I bet i have a solid 2.5" of shaft showing.

Just got off the phone with both Nettles and Acme and they are both telling me "no way" - thinking that when my driveshaft was replaced the dealer put one on that is too long and I just never noticed. Got some homework to do it looks like - urgh.

Todd at Acme also explained the vibration or growl that I could experience - said if there is less than 3/4" between the prop and rudder I may get it around 2k rpm. Wonder if that is the "growl" others have talked about with the 1433 or whatever it was.

Sure give me a bit.

It's about 1-1/8" maybe 1-14"
    Last edited by New Guy; 05-15-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    Wonder if that is the "growl" others have talked about with the 1433 or whatever it was.
    The growl I experienced was with the OJ 466 (14.25x14), known issue with a LSV.
    2014 Mojo Surf
    2013 Mojo Sold
    2010 LSV Sold
    2002 OB LSV Sold

Crap - just talked to SC's tech line too. Technically only need enough space between the strut/prop for a prop puller to reach. Up to the prop diameter that Acme recommends as the max.

Now when I get home I get to measure the driveshaft and see if I even have the right one, which is becoming seriously doubtful the more I learn. Why is it the simple little things morph into bigger, time consuming, expensive things...

because it's a BOAT

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    because it's a BOAT
    ^^^ Amen to that... nothing's ever simple with boats.
    2004 Moomba LSV Blue