Thread: Eye opening

Default Eye opening

Just watched this John Stossel special on our school system in America and was completely blown away. I cannot even fathom unions having that much control as the teachers union in New York apparently has. Maybe this is due to me being from the south and not really knowing or every dealing with unions, it just seems ridiculous to me. I really hope we can figure something out as a nation to help improve the quality of education we are providing for our young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4pN-aiofw
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    Just watched this John Stossel special on our school system in America and was completely blown away. I cannot even fathom unions having that much control as the teachers union in New York apparently has. Maybe this is due to me being from the south and not really knowing or every dealing with unions, it just seems ridiculous to me. I really hope we can figure something out as a nation to help improve the quality of education we are providing for our young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx4pN-aiofw
    I just watched this, thanks David for reaffirming what i hear about from my friends who are parents.

IDK exactly if all Unions have this power but i know every job i have ever had was non Union and the companies would spend a lot of money to keep it that way.

Exp at Intel we are building 2 new Fabs, costing Billions, a new Support Building and 30K space parking Garages costing Billions and we have Contractors doing all this, and they are all Union.

They start work at 7am break is at 9 for 15 minutes, they leave the job site to walk to the break area, this takes 15-20 minutes, then the break starts, and they walk back for 15-20 minutes. Then its lunch at 12 with the same walk to and from and they leave at 4pm exactly. Last break is at 2pm.

We have to provide dozens of City style buses to transport them from the job site to the parking lots.

I walk literally 1/4+ mile from the closest parking garage to the main Building i enter. Then i walk 3/4 mile from the main building to the building my desk is at. After that i walk as much as 5 miles per day just to get to all the systems i manage for inspections, repairs, and what not. We have 3 golf carts assigned to the 25 people in my main group. Only day i get a golf cart to make my day easier is on Saturday when there is only 5 techs on duty LOL.

At the end of the day as i work on all these new systems installed im SOOOO busy fixing all the little details misses, replacing the bad parks, fixing leaks it mind boggles me we pay as much as we do to have these contractors doing this work. If you try to even talk to one of these contractors about the work they are doing, its like trying to shake the Presidents Hand unexpectedly. Intel has its own security company on site and the Contractors have their own security on site to protect them from us, who pays them to work for us. LOL

I just shake my head at it all and wonder in amazement.
    Last edited by mmandley; 04-21-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]