Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default EQ Staying On...

Weird problem I had last night.

So I put my boat on the lift, turned the engine off, and switched my Perko switch from All to Off. I left the stereo on while we were cleaning up for about 15 minutes. When I flipped my master stereo switch to Off, I noticed the lights on the EQ stayed on. They should have gone off, I believe. All the lights on the amps were off and even the light in the master switch was off.

I believe I have the switch wired where a power wire comes in, then a remote wire goes out to the EQ, from there remote wires head to the amps.

I ran out of time and light so I just unplugged the fuse holder on the power wire of the EQ and called it a night. Just brainstorming what was going on now. I'm guessing I'm missing something really, really obvious.

An EQ only has three wires related to the power function.
    1) Workload positive 12 volts. Either constant, interrupted by a relay or switched via the battery switch, key or helm switch.
    2) Trigger On 12 volts derived from the source unit the same as what triggers the amplifiers on.
    3) Ground.
    Unplug all RCAs and try it again so that there is no alternate source of ground.
    Even if corrosion served to circumvent a function and keep the power latched you should NOT have either a live 'Trigger On' or a live 'Workload 12 volts' once the battery switch is shut down.
    You probably have two independent mis-wired issues for this to happen.

David
    Earmark Marine

No chance of a ground mistakenly wired to a dash illumination circuit that was the last to be shut off?

Did it happen to get wet during your clean up? Mine has stayed on the few times it has gotten stormed on. The water must conduct despite the switches being off.
    Jason

2022 Mojo

Not sure on all of that except that it didn't get wet. I'll be in the boat tomorrow and check into it further.

EQ is still doing this. I believe I have it wired like this: 12V power wire and ground wire run to my stereo battery (via distro blocks), and remote wire runs to my master switch which is powered through the cigarette lighter on the dash so that I could turn the stereo on at any time.

It had been working for a week or two, after I installed the master switch. Now that it's messing up, it leads me to believe that there is something messed up internally that won't stop drawing power from the 12V power wire when the remote wire tells it to. Does that make sense?

Sounds like from what you have said that your amp and eq all share the same 12V and ground sources (distro block) as well as a remote source from your master switch. I would try disconnecting the eq's remote 12V from the master switch and see if the eq turns off.
    2004 Moomba LSV Blue

If it were me, I'd get out my multimeter or circuit tester and verify exactly what is or is not happening at each wire connected to your eq. It's the only way to know for sure where your issue is...
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Quote Originally Posted by moombahighrider View Post
    If it were me, I'd get out my multimeter or circuit tester and verify exactly what is or is not happening at each wire connected to your eq. It's the only way to know for sure where your issue is...
    So, so true. Don't speculate. Measure and confirm.

David
    Earmark Marine

Quote Originally Posted by moombahighrider View Post
    Yeah definitely if you have these tools, that should have been your first move in determining what's going on with your system.
    2004 Moomba LSV Blue