Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Loose steering

This is the kind of stuff that keeps me from buying a new CRAZ. Love the boat but if there's no fix for stuff like this then I may as well keep the one I have and deal with it. What did they do different to fix this? Or are the new owners going to experience the same thing in a couple years when stuff gets loose?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Camp on pool 8 of Allegheny River (Adrian, PA)

Quote Originally Posted by papou View Post
    Went out surfing for about 3 hours and the steering felt sloppy again and after investigating the rudder link opened up again .
    1\8 play in the bushing gave me about 1-1\2 in the wheel I think it needs to be welded so it doesn't open .

Finished the steering cable install last night. Not a bad job but I sure would also: 1) Purchase and install a new connector (cable to rudder arm as pictured above in papou's post) as mine was worn and had allot of play.
    2) Go over all the steering system from steering wheel to rudder to check for loose bolts, nuts, and set screws. I found a few which I used lock-tight (blue removable) on the threads of those fasteners to help keep them tight. Steering has about 1/4 of the play in it before the cable went bad.

Thanks for the thread and the info...as always I love the info and support from yinz Moomba fans.
    2003 Outback
    Boat name = Lynn Syndrome
    Its a condition that runs in the family...Judy Lynn (mother-in-law) Heather Lynn (wife) & Megan Lynn (daughter)...no known cure...but the boat helps
    New boat for me on 10/9/10.

Anyone who is still having this issue should refer to the attached photo, especially if you have tilt wheel. papou in post #40 seems to have the fix. There are two allen keys in the steering column under the rubber boot. They loosen up over time and cause the "play" in the steering wheel. My brother jikemones and I both had this problem and Mike was able to correct his by simply tightening the allen keys. Unfortunately, I didn't catch mine in time and the assemble was damaged and requires replacement.

FYI - I replaced my steering rudder block holder and my cable before I discovered this. CHECK THE TILT FIRST before you do anything else.

8erame5y.jpg

Had a little trouble with the photo from previous post>

This thread was started 05-29-2012 about the same time I started experiencing a “loose steering issue”. Anyone with any steering slop needs to check the two Allen bolts located in the steering knuckle under the rubber boot.
    2011 LSV
    Loaded, 340 HP

I looked last night on my 07 LS and I only saw one Allen bolt that seemed to go all the way through with a locking nut on the other side. Where is the 2nd allen bolt?

Garn
    Garn
    2007 Mobius LS (Direct Drive)

Look a little deeper or further down the knuckle. On mine it was really hard to see. Tightening them has made a considerable difference!
    2011 LSV
    Loaded, 340 HP

I could only see one allen bolt on ours also. It did seem to help just with the one being tightened.
    2007 Moomba Outback V
    2015 F-250 PSD CC

2012 Fuse 40 T-bar
    Sky Ski Le-38
    XXX front wing
    UFO rear wing
    Evo tower

I could only find 1 allen on my 2008 LSV... I tightened it and there was a huge improvement... Is there any way someone could post a pic of the 2nd bolt?
    2008 LSV 1100s 650IBS Reversible Pumps w\Timers

How are you guys getting the rubber boot off to find this?