Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Loose steering

Quote Originally Posted by papou View Post
    Complete steering shaft assembly was just over 200$ here in Canada ,i did the job myself .
    what do you look for to diagnose this? i will be inspecting mine this weekend
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

At the end of the steering wheel shaft on the housing you can see and feel the shaft move left or right when you turn the wheel slightly , you can actualy feel it come in and out of contact with the cable gear .i had about 2 inch of slop in the steering
    2012 Mobius LSV
    05 Outback LS SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    what do you look for to diagnose this? i will be inspecting mine this weekend
    David did you fix or diagnose your steering? i know have the same 2" slop, mine is also becoming difficult to steer at speed. I read in the owner manual and states lube steering and supposedly there is a grease zerk for the cable but have not looked for it yet.
    2008 22SSV Worlds

Default Loose steering

Quote Originally Posted by Worlds22SSV View Post
    David did you fix or diagnose your steering? i know have the same 2" slop, mine is also becoming difficult to steer at speed. I read in the owner manual and states lube steering and supposedly there is a grease zerk for the cable but have not looked for it yet.
    I have not, I won't be around the boat for three weeks but I plan on just buying a new steering box and putting it on next time I am at the lake house. I think the cable is a little more labor intensive and will have to wait till winter

Sent from my iPhone
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

I also had the sloppy issue......
    I think my clamp/block down at the rudder might be sloppy.....But I also found that my wheel had quite a bit of play. I reached under my dash to the bottom of the steering wheel shaft and could feel where it met up with the gearbox. I had a good amount of play before the wheel engaged the gears......I checked around the tilt wheel assembly and found it to be loose. If you pull the black rubber trim piece up from around the back of the wheel you can turn the wheel left or right and there is a set/tightening screw. I tightened that up and it helped. But I noticed some more play yesterday and looked around the clamp block and it seems pretty sloppy. Anyone have any idea how much play should be in that clamp block? I guess the ball joint can wear out?
    07 LSV usually DUMPED

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I also had the sloppy issue......
    I think my clamp/block down at the rudder might be sloppy.....But I also found that my wheel had quite a bit of play. I reached under my dash to the bottom of the steering wheel shaft and could feel where it met up with the gearbox. I had a good amount of play before the wheel engaged the gears......I checked around the tilt wheel assembly and found it to be loose. If you pull the black rubber trim piece up from around the back of the wheel you can turn the wheel left or right and there is a set/tightening screw. I tightened that up and it helped. But I noticed some more play yesterday and looked around the clamp block and it seems pretty sloppy. Anyone have any idea how much play should be in that clamp block? I guess the ball joint can wear out?
    I think this is the same issue I have. My clamp block is a sloppy mess.

So is mine but I haven't attempted to tighten it because I didn't know if it was supposed to be tight or loose...
    2008 LSV 1100s 650IBS Reversible Pumps w\Timers

Default Loose steering

The clamp block is at the rear by the rudder??

Sent from my iPhone
    David

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    The clamp block is at the rear by the rudder??

Sent from my iPhone
    Yep just forward of the rudder

Is everybody still dealing with the "sloppy steering" issue? Anybody had success with a fix they tried?
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!