Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default To bridge or not to bridge

I just installed a pair of Polk MM651UM speakers in my tower cans, and will be running them with a kicker 350.4. Should I just run them off 2 of the channels and save the other channels, or should I bridge it down to 2 channels. The speakers are labeled 3ohm on the back but the paperwork that came with them says they are 4ohm. If 3ohms is correct will that be too much on the bridged amp.
    2005 Supra Launch 21v
    325 HP

I'd bridge it. It will be much louder. Just make sure to turn the HP Filter on to keep the low bass out of the speakers.
    Levi
    Former owner of a 08 Mobuis XLV, Cat340, 2650 Lbs.
    I miss that boat!

Agreed Polk site states 4 ohms. That's strange that's it stamped 3 ohm on the speaker. Email Polk tech service and get the straight skinny.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Do you have a multimeter? Just test the ohms on the speaker terminals to verify. You should see 3.7 ohms or so and that would be appropriate for a 4ohm speaker.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Thanks for the multi meter suggestion, guess I should have thought of that. The Polks measure 3.3ohms and an old speaker I had just laying around measured 3.8. I guess they are a lower ohm speaker.

So I think the Kicker 350.4 bridged 2 channel puts out like 175 at 2ohms but may be closer to 200 with these speakers.

Thats right at the peak rating of the Polks, is that too much? Any one running a similar setup?

I hear its better to over power than under power but there's a limit to that right?
    2005 Supra Launch 21v
    325 HP

It will sounds great. You are right, better to over then under power them. I have hit the Polk DB Speakers with lots of clean power and they did fine. For tower speakers you will want the eaxtra power and just make sure the HP filter is on because you don't need low bass going to them. And because they are full range I wouldn't worry too much about overloading your amp, it will be fine.
    Levi
    I miss that boat!

Kicker amps are notorious for putting out more power and delivering more than they advertise too!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Fwiw I thinks the Polk um are in the new surpas '12 and are certainly running 2 ohm in the cockpits .
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

JMvotto is correct. They sure are. My Buddy just got his new Mojo yesterday and it's running at 2 ohms for the rear cockpit speakers.
    Levi
    I miss that boat!

Quote Originally Posted by louisiana21v View Post
    Thanks for the multi meter suggestion, guess I should have thought of that. The Polks measure 3.3ohms and an old speaker I had just laying around measured 3.8. I guess they are a lower ohm speaker.

So I think the Kicker 350.4 bridged 2 channel puts out like 175 at 2ohms but may be closer to 200 with these speakers.

Thats right at the peak rating of the Polks, is that too much? Any one running a similar setup?

I hear its better to over power than under power but there's a limit to that right?
    The 350.4 bridged is stable only down to 4 ohms. I think you're asking for trouble running it bridged with a 3.3 ohm load. I guess you can try it and if the amp can't handle it, it will go into protect.
    Al

2006 Mobius LSV