Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default 1200 Mile towing suggestions

I leave thursday am with my 21V towing back down south.
    Lets hear some suggestions and tips for this long of a tow.
    Double axle trailer..

I have pulled the canvas off the Z5. I believe there are straps in the console to bolster the z5 frame.

Hoping to ride WITHOUT the cover on Weather permitting.. the 2011 cover seems to be ok for towing.. but fear it could rub a little on the gelcoat.

Not much gas in the boat for less weight.

Also, any truck tips? I have 2011 Silverado Z71 with tow package. I am estimating 11 mpg.. UGH at least the further south i get, the cheaper fuel will be..

The double axle trailer sits very level...
    I am contemplating trying to find some kind of mud flaps that mount to trailer hitch.
    Brad

2011 Launch 21V Sold... boatless replaced with a Jeep JKUR
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV sold
    2004 Outback sold

Quote Originally Posted by 04OUTBACK View Post
    I leave thursday am with my 21V towing back down south.
    Lets hear some suggestions and tips for this long of a tow.
    Double axle trailer..

I have pulled the canvas off the Z5. I believe there are straps in the console to bolster the z5 frame.

Hoping to ride WITHOUT the cover on Weather permitting.. the 2011 cover seems to be ok for towing.. but fear it could rub a little on the gelcoat.

Not much gas in the boat for less weight.

Also, any truck tips? I have 2011 Silverado Z71 with tow package. I am estimating 11 mpg.. UGH at least the further south i get, the cheaper fuel will be..

The double axle trailer sits very level...
    I am contemplating trying to find some kind of mud flaps that mount to trailer hitch.

I'd leave the cover on, otherwise you should remove all the cushions and anything else that can fly out. Make sure you grease the bearing and have a spare..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Cover off, cushions in the truck bed (assuming it's covered) the mudflaps like mmandley/dusty have, spare with the proper lug wrench for the nuts, bottle jack, and an expediated route thru the ATL for some Chik-fil-A (I'm buying) then a water test on Sinclair.

Maybe add a little air to your rear tires to make up for the tongue weight. I do that on long trips.

I hate the stuff but I'd also bring along a can of fix-a-flat. Even with a spare it can save you from being stranded for a while in the case you have a double case of bad luck.

If you tow covered, stop every couple hundy and snug it down or at least check that it's not flapping.

Oh, and load up the ipod with tunes!
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

berg's post reminded me of ratchet straps. In case everything else fails, you can ratchet up an axel & run on 1 tire for a short distace. I think berg had to do this and posted about it.

I'd look into getting it shrink wrapped.
    Kraig - 2010 Outback V

I had mine towed 1900 miles, Reno to Chicago, have you looked at uship? Mine was $1500 and delivered 3 days later.. The cover will be fine, you may want to wrap the cover straps so the don't leave marks on the gel coat..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

I like that idea best!

Actually I just limped down the shoulder a ways and then threw on the spare. I saw a guy at the launch last summer with a big 24ft daycruiser on a jalopy looking tandem axle trailer but only the rear two tires on the trailer. Not sure if he had the axle tied up or not as I didn't want to get to close

Curious about the reason for the road trip - ? Would be fun to make several stops along the way at lakes/rivers but doesn't sound like that's your plan.
    Last edited by bergermaister; 05-21-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Somebody tied one up one time. Maybe Newty or Mandley?

Brad is moving from upstate NY back closer to home in the Dirty South. Once he gets rolling, he ain't going stop!
    Last edited by wolfeman131; 05-21-2012 at 02:21 PM.